Chapter 5: The Enemy

In a makeshift bunker a Nazi officer sat at his desk. His uniform was black as coal. A Nazi flag armband wrapped around his left arm. An Iron Cross pinned on his chest. He had a scar running down his right cheek. His blue eyes stared at the plans that laid before him. "The Fuhrer will be please.", he pronounced. Just then a soldier entered. "Major König, we found the scouting party, sir.", the soldier announced. The officer looked up from his work. "We found them all dead, sir.", the soldier said. "How did they die, sergeant?", the major inquired. "They were shot, It looks like they were ambushed, sir.", the soldier answered. The major looked at the soldier surprised at the answer. "We have company.", the major proclaimed. "If we have any resistance from the Allies, we risk blowing the whole operation. All this time we've spent here would have been for nothing. We have to stop them at once!", the major pronounced as he slammed his fist on his desk. "Do we know their numbers, sergeant?", the major asked. "We don't know their number, sir, but we do know where they are. Tracks from where the scouting party was attacked shows that they came from and returned to Pride Rock and you won't believe this, sir.", the sergeant stated. "I won't believe what, sergeant?", the major asked. "From the tracks we found, they appear to be traveling with lions, sir.", the sergeant responded. The major looked away from the soldier and stared at a map of the area he had hanging on his wall. The major pondered as he rubbed his chin. "Sergeant!", he pronounced. "Yes, sir!", the sergeant responded snapping to attention. "Assemble a platoon of your finest men. We are going a safari.", proclaimed the major. "Jawohl!", yelled the sergeant. Before leaving the office, the sergeant turned around and gave a Nazi salute. "Heil Hitler!", yelled the sergeant. The major broke his trance and stood up and returned the salute. Quietly, with a smile on his face, he responded, "Heil Hitler."

As the sun began to set on the Pride Lands, the soldiers and the lions were gathered at Pride Rock waiting for dinner. Winters and his men were gathered around a map of the Pride Land, planning their next move. "We searched in the North, South, East, and West sectors of the Pride Lands, but we got nothing. Wherever they are, they aren't in the Pride Lands, sir.", Hartman. "What about this area here?", Winters asked as he pointed to an area out of the Pride Lands. "It's close to where we encountered that Nazi squad.", Winters announced. "That's the Outlands, sir. Sheni told me Simba won't allow anyone to go there. In order to keep the peace, he made an agreement with the prime minister of the Outlands, Jasiri, that the Outlanders will stay out of the Pride Lands and the Pride Landers stay out of the Outlands, sir.", Jackson replied. "Prime minister? The more we stay in the Pride Lands, the weirder things get.", Winters joked. "We will pick up our search tomorrow, gentleman. Get some chow and get a full night's rest. You're going to need it.", Winters declared. "Yes, sir!", the men responded back. The men dispersed for chow, but Jackson walked up to the lieutenant. "Permission to speak, sir?", Jackson inquired. "What on your mind, Jackson?", Winters asked. "I want to ask a favor, sir.", Jackson declared. "What can I do for you?", Winters asked looking at Jackson with a puzzled look on his face. Jackson looked back at Sheni. Sheni caught Jackson looking and perked up. Jackson gave a smile back and then looked back at Winters. "Sir, if I die in combat, I want to be buried here in the Pride Lands. I have no one back in the states and this place has become home, sir.", Jackson declared. Winters looked over at Sheni and then back at Jackson. "I'll make sure of it. You just focus on living private.", Winters said. "Thank you, sir.", Jackson said as he turned to be with Sheni. Winters looked back at his map when Kovu approached him. "Winters, I want to talk to you.", Kovu declared. Winters looked up at the lion. "What do you want to talk about?", Winters asked curious about what the young prince wanted. "I want to join your unit and help fight these Nazis.", Kovu declared. Winters looked at Kovu for a second. "Do you know what you are asking for, Kovu? Do you want to be some kind of hero? All I can promise is death and destruction. There is no glory.", Winters said. Kovu looked right into Winters eyes. "When I saw those soldier murder all those zebra, it made my blood boil! As future king it is my duty to defend my home. If giving my life means others may live in peace, then so be it.", Kovu declared. Winters was shocked at the answer that he just heard. It reminded of him of himself when he first joined. "I'll be honored to have a soldier with that mind set on my team. Welcome to the unit, Kovu.", Winters declared as he extended his hand. Kovu extended his paw and shook Winters' hand. Kovu was about to leave when he looked back at Winters. "You know, you should talk to Vitani, when you got the time. She does like you and that's a feat in itself.", Kovu said. "Have a good day, Kovu.", was all Winters responded as he returned to his map.

Just then Ryan ran up to Winters. "You got to come outside. You're not going to believe it, sir.", Ryan declared. Winters got to his feet and followed Ryan outside. When they got outside, they were met by the royal family looking out in the distance. Winters looked to see what it was. In the distance a group of animals was approaching Pride Rock. Leading the group was a golden lion with a scar on his left eye, a red mowhawk, and a gray V-mark on his forehead. Beside him was a brown lioness with a gray streak across her. The other animals that followed included a cheetah, a honey badger, a hippo, an egret, and a martial eagle. When the group reached Pride Rock the male lion walked up to Simba. "We came as soon as we heard, dad.", the lion said. The soldiers were confused about what they just heard. "Dad?", Winters interjected. "You never told me you had a son, Simba.", Winters said looking at Simba with confusion on his face. "You never asked.", Simba responded with a smile on his face. "Lieutenant Winters I want you to meet my son, Kion, King of the Tree of Life and former leader of the Lion Guard.", Simba announced with pride. Winters snapped to attention and saluted Kion. Kion gave a slight bow in return. "My name is Second Lieutenant Adam Winters of the United States Marines and these are my men.", Winter announced has he pointed to his men. "Nice to meet you Winters and your men. This is my mate Queen Rani," Kion stated as he gestured to the lioness. "It's an honor to meet you, Rani.", Winters stated as he gave a slight bow. "It's nice to meet you too.", Rani replied as she gave a slight bow in return. "We brought our best warriors of the Night Pride to fight by your side, Winters.", Kion announced. "Kion is one of the fiercest warriors in the history of the Pride Lands. He has fought many battles and can be of great assistance to your mission, Winters.", Simba declared. "So, you're some sort of war hero?", Winters asked sarcastically. "No, I just did what I had to do to ensure the ones I loved, and the Pride Lands were safe. It was my duty.", Kion responded with a smile. "I like him already." Winters responded looking at Simba with a smile on his face. "Let go inside. We are about to have dinner.", Simba said. With that the group made their way into the den of Pride Rock.