Chapter 6: Hard Times

*2 months later*
         Shortly after the funerals I moved into the Curtis house. I'd went to Buck's and got all my stuff and most of Dally's clothes too became mine. To help out at the house I started working at the Dingo.
        I'd just woke up to the smell of breakfast being cooked, but as soon as I walked into the kitchen and smelt the bacon I was back in the bathroom puking my guts out. Soda heard and ran in holding my hair back and rubbing circles on my back,"Darry!" He yelled.
       Darry came running in and took over for Soda,"you've been Like this for almost 2 months. You're going to the doctor today. I'm taking you myself."
       "Okay," I said.
           Darry called and told his boss he'd be in after my doctor's appointment, then called and set me up one. My appointment was set for 9, so that gave us time to drop Soda off at work and take Ponyboy to school.
         Once we got to the doctor and I got check in we sat down,"it's probably just from stress," I said.
            "Well maybe they'll give you something to help you calm down then," Darry said grabbing my hand, then my name was called, "I'll be out here," he smiled.
       I went back into the room and the doctor came in, "hello Ryan. I'm Travis, I'll be your doctor today. What's been going on?" He asked.
           "I've been getting sick the last couple months in the mornings, I think it's just stress, my boyfriend died a couple months ago, I've just felt funny for a while," I said.
        "Were you 2 sexual active?"
     "Yes."
       "When was your last period?"
               "3 months ago."
              "It's almost a 100% chance of you being pregnant. Let me get a test and then if it's positive we'll just go on up to OB," he said.
        "Thanks," I smiled. A nurse came in and got the test.
          The doctor came back in,"just as I thought. If you'll follow me I'll lead you up to see the baby doctor and we'll see just how far along you are," he smiled and led me to another room.
         A female doctor walked in,"Congratulations mom. Let's take a look here," she said pulling up my shirt,"it looks like you're 8 weeks along. Heartbeat seems healthy. Okay, you'll need to set up another appointment for next month. You have a good day and I'll see you then," she smiled.
       "Thanks," I said.
           I walked out to the front desk and set up the appointment then walked over to Darry,"so, what'd you find out?"
        "Not in here," I said.
               Darry led me out the door and to the truck, he opened the passenger side for me and I climbed in, then he closed the door and got in himself,"now, what'd he say?"
            "I'm pregnant," I whispered.
         "What? Speak up, doll," he said.
         "I'm pregnant,Darry, and it's Dally's," I said louder.
         "Oh no, come here," he said.
           I slide across the bench seat and into Darry's arms,"what am I going to do?" I cried.
         "I'm gonna help you. All of us will, you know that. We'll make sure you're both taken care of. The second you became Dally's girl was the second you became part of this family too. We take care of family," he said stroking my hair.
         "Thank you, Darry. Can we just go home? I want to sleep," I said.
         "Of course. I'll stop by work and tell the boss I need the day off that you got a real bad stomach bug and can't be alone today. I can afford a day off. Are you gonna tell the gang?"
         "Yeah today I'll tell them," I said.
            Darry got the rest of the day off and I lounged around in our room, we have separate beds of course, me still being madly in love with Dally and all. When the boys all got to the house I walked down the hall to the living room. You could tell I'd spent most of the day crying the red rings and all.
        "Ry, what's wrong, sweetie?" Two-bit asked.
            "You guys should all know something big is about to happen to all of us, well mostly me," I started.
        "Us. Were family," Ponyboy smiled, all the guys agreed.
       "Just tell us what's going on," Soda said.
        "I found out that I'm going to have a baby. I'm 8 weeks along," I said.
          "That's great news. You're gonna be a mama, Ry!" Steve smiled.
        "Dal would be so excited," Soda said.
          "Were gonna take good care of you, sweetie," Two-bit said. They all hugged me one at a time, so not to squish me or the baby.
           *Time Jump to Labor*
         I was standing in the kitchen cleaning up from breakfast when I felt a sharp pain, "whoa, Ryan, I think your water just broke!" Two-bit said.
        "I think you're right! Ow!" I yelled holding my now huge baby bump.
          "Soda, Steve we gotta go. Pony call Darry tell him the baby's coming. Load up!" Two-bit yelled as Soda grabbed the baby bag, Pony hung up from Darry, and Steve and Two-bit helped me waddle to Two-bit's car.
        When we got to the hospital they made all the guys wait in the hall,"send Darry in," I said.
       "I'm right here, doll," Darry said grabbing my hand as they wheeled me away.
           12 hours of labor later and I had a healthy baby boy, "you're more then welcome to give him Curtis if you'd like," Darry smiled.
         I looked down at my baby boy, "I'm gonna name him Johnny Dallas Winston," I smiled.
           The whole gang came in to see and hold him, they instantly fell in love.