Part 1

The car idled outside of Brent and I's home. The lights were on, even though he had always told me to turn off the lights before she left. They wouldn't be on if he wasn't home. Something that I hoped wasn't true. 

He was home early. He was supposed to be on his business trip for another two days. He was always flying somewhere to meet somebody who would invest money into Brents's business. He worked himself to the bone, trying to get his business to grow financially. Something that had caused me to fall in love with when they were both in college. 

He had a dream, and I had believed in him. Sticking by his side for the lows, and the few highs. I loved him and considered myself lucky that she had found such a caring business-driven man. Yet now, I barely saw him. When did, he was often asleep or in his office. 

They had grown apart in the past six months. Much to my displeasure. I had attempted to get him to stay home, to spend time with me. He would always shrug me off like I was a second thought to him. 

Now, the thought of him being home makes me antsy, nervous. It was now like he was an unwanted visitor. Why is he home? Why now?

I take the car keys out of the ignition with a large sigh. Glancing back at the house that I had worked hard at making it feel like home. At first, it took a while to not feel alone in the big house. I would always double-check the locks numerous times throughout the night, ensuring my safety from the outside world. The fact that I was alone scared me, who would be here if somebody broke in? 

When Brent did stay here, I felt safe in his arms at night. Knowing that he would protect me. Now, I kept a bat by my bed and had a top of the line safety system installed. I learned how to be more secure in my house, and in my capability of being independent. 

Now, he is infringing on my independence, and that shakes me to my core.  I swing my door open and step out into the brisk October air. Pulling me jacket closer to my body. It isn't long until I am opening the unlocked door. The smell of Brent's cologne fills my nose. He's been wearing that scent since I got it for him for our first Christmas. I had tested at least thirty different colognes before settling on that one. It suited him, it was sharp and manly. 

"Brent?" I call out into the silent house. His shoes were kicked to the side of the foyer, something that had always bugged me. I straighten them out before walking deeper into the house. My heels clicking against the wood floors. I could faintly hear music coming from the kitchen. Soft rock fills my ears as I enter the room. His back is to me as he stirs whatever he has on the stove. 

The sight startles me. He had never cooked for me before, even when we were dating. "Brent?" I whisper. His hair was shorter, cropped closely to his head. His shirt was creased but other than that he was dressed as nicely as he usually is. He turns his head, his amber eyes meeting my own jade eyes. 

"Cleo. You're home. Where were you? I've been here all day. By the way, thanks for telling me that you had a security system set up, that was fun to deal with." He jokes. His voice sending me into temporary paralysis. I haven't seen my own husband in six months. I had almost forgotten his voice, the voice that used to whisper sweet nothings into my ear as we lay in our bed.

"I was at work. What are you doing home? You told me you were going to be here in two days..." I sigh. Walking around the counter to seat myself in front of him. 

He looks older than twenty-five, he has large bags under his eyes. Which were less bright compared to the last time I had seen Brent. His eyes didn't look at me with the same love and adoration as before.  Now, it was like I was some stranger from the side of the road. 

"Well, business sorted itself out sooner than we had expected. So, I jumped on a plane and came home." That statement causes a sound to escape from my mouth. His eyebrow raises at me. 

I might as well be a stranger. I have changed in the past six months, I grew a spine. Also, my overall appearance has changed. I no longer dress like a politician's wife. I'm twenty-three, I should dress my age. His eyes fall to my hand, which is bare of my wedding band. A frown falls on his lips. 

"This place hasn't been your home for months, Brent. When you told me you had a business trip to attend, I didn't expect it to last six months. With barely any contact from you." I tell him harshly, enjoying the emotions that I had caused to break through his cold facade. 

"I didn't expect it to last this long Cleo. You know that." He mutters, his words stumbling every few seconds. "And job? since when do you work? I provide for you so you can stay at home." 

"I've been working since the first month that you left me. I needed to be independent. I don't need you to provide for me. I can do that myself." I bite out. Offended by the tone he used. 

"I didn't come home to fight." He tells me, his eyes leaving the pan for the first time since he greeted me. 

"Then why did you come home?"