Prologue

He hates having his hair in his face. He hates it blowing around in the wind, tickling his skin at the slightest brush. He hates the fact that he has to pull it back and put it into the most pathetic pony tail one has laid eyes on. But he loves it because it makes him feel free.

He's living on a day-to-day basis, this I know for I have lived with him for two years now, and he never knows where exactly he'll be going next. He never knows what he's in for and that's what scares him (and me) the most. The unknowing. The mystery. The suspense. It kills us both. And it hurts to know that he can leave me just after one phone call. Sad good bye's in hopes that we'll see each other soon and it won't take too long for him to complete his mission and come home before another comes up.

Half-heartedly, I wave as he leaves to board the plane and I am left behind, just a speck of dust compared to the world awaiting him. I don't like this feeling. I don't like feeling smaller than I am. I don't like feeling so distant and lonely. It's not the life I wish to live. But I wish to live a life with him and if this is what it takes to be with him for the rest of my days, then so be it. I wouldn't give up this life or anything or anyone.

I send my prayers to God, praying that he watches over my soldier, as he faces another handful of months away from home. I pray to protect him and save him if worse comes to worse. I pray for my love; my dear, sweet Harry, to live to see the light of tomorrow.

Finally, I pray for him to come home without a scratch on his face. Even though the thought is ridulous and unbelievable, I still wish for him to come home the way I sent him off. But bruises are part of battle and it's something he has to live with.

I'll see him soon, just not soon enough.

---

A.N. I thought it'd be interesting to see how this goes. :) -M