5 Learning from ghosts

Harry woke up slowly. He felt that he had got the sleep he needed, but there was still that feeling of ghosts and demons left deep inside. Slowly he opened his eyes and the first thing he did was to think through the events from the night. Yes, he let it sink in and he tried to remember everything. Every detail, even that it hurt. He wanted to remember what he didn't want to be and who he wanted to be. He saw the lights in the ceiling, which was reflected from the window and an old dusty mirror. He had never seen the light before, and he had never bothered. Just this morning he wanted to bother. He just loved the way the light was broken up at the ceiling and created a glittering pattern. It was then he realized it was Christmas Eve. Yes, he realized that he could change many things already this very day. Why wait until the weekend was over?

Okay quickly he left the bed. He needed a shower. Yes, he saw how dirty he was, or was it that he felt dirty? He smiled at the thought of getting clean from the old chores and the days before this day. Quickly stood under running water, and he made sure to wash his body clean. Yes, he washed away the past and started over from scratch. He loved that feeling. He wiped the body thoroughly with the towel and he noticed a change. He wasn't as pale as before in the same way, as before. Now there was life in his body, and he wanted to tell the whole world about that. Okay, maybe the whole world, that was to excessive, but he wanted to show a new Harry. Quickly into the closet, and he looked up clothes that he never wore before. A white shirt, a red jacket, red pants and a green tie. He chose that colors because of the day. It was Christmas Eve, and he needed color on the body. Yes, he didn't want to be gray, he wanted to be colorful and he needed that.

Okay, how would he pass the day now? Quickly a thought came up. Niall needed a turkey and food. Gemma did need a Christmas gift, a really big package. He laughed when he felt his body was filled with the Christmas spirit. Yes, it was as if he was new born and now he had to exaggerate everything. He had no problem throwing money away at this day, he had to do it. He needed to do it. Harry pulled on the old jacket and his old shoes. Yes, when it returned to normal, he would buy new clothes and absolutely new shoes. He laughed at the idea that he had never done so before. Maybe that a man really needed an awakening to realize that the shoes was old? He opened the door out and took a deep breath. Yes, a new day, new opportunities.

Okay, it wasn't easy to walk along the slippery street. The snow had fallen during the night and now it was all one big winter landscape. Still Harry did loved what he was seeing. He loved the lights all around him as told him that it was Christmas Eve. He loved all the decorations, and he loved that everyone was so happy.

"Hello!" he said to those he passed. "Merry Christmas to you and your family."

It was easy to be kind. Yes, many wished him the same thing, others just looked at him in surprise, as if he were crazy. Harry laughed. Yes, this was exactly what he should have done long time ago. He saw a shop that was open. Quickly he slipped in and he noted jewelry, food, and all that was needed.

"I needed help!" he said to the man behind the cash register. "Mostly, I need lots of food delivered to a close friend. I also need gifts for my sister. She needs expensive gifts, if you have jewelry, it's okay."

Just to prove that he could not pay, he picked up the wallet and showed all the money it contained. The man responded immediately by giving Harry a big smile.

"Food, did you say?" he got up. "How much food?"

Harry laughed in response.

"All a man needs to be measured on a day like this. A whole load of food and a big turkey."

Yes, it went as it should. Harry got to pay for a lot of food, which they delivered to Niall without payment. Harry also got hold of Christmas gifts to Gemma and he also took some for Mark. It felt wonderful to buy things for others and to give without getting a single thing back. All he wanted was a bright future. Maybe that Gemma would never forgive him and maybe that Niall didn't love him, but it felt damn good to do this anyway.

Gemma's house? Yes, it took a while to find it. He had only been there during the night, one time, and now it was daylight around him. He loved the feeling of finding the right door. He had all the gifts in a bag and he went up to the door. He pushed the doorbell and laughed at himself. This was fun, it felt good. 

"Harry?"

Gemma opened the door and her face was a total blank. It was as if it was she as saw a ghost.

"Merry Christmas!" he said directly with a happy voice. "I'm here to wish you and your boyfriend a Merry Christmas."

She didn't trust what he told her. She got big eyes when he handed over the presents, and he laughed a little.

"I'm not here to argue with you." and he loved getting to say it. "I'm here as your brother and I love you. I don't care about who Mark is, you two should remain together."

She swallowed.

"But you hate him?"

He waved with his hand and giggled.

"No, I just wasn't sure who he was." Harry answered honestly. "And now I like him and I know he loves you. He's a man who's there for you."

Gemma seemed to understand that all this was serious. She swallowed and put the bag down in the hall.

"You're different?"

Harry nodded and actually he was a little embarrassed over that.

"Yes, it needed a nightmare to get a man to realize what he's missing." he said kindly. "I wasn't the brother you wanted, but I promise I'll be the brother you need. I'm here for you and I promise to not be prejudiced against you, as before."

A faint smile appeared on her lips.

"Thank you Harry."

He smiled and threw out his arms to her, such as was a gesture that means he wanted to hug her.

"You're my family."

She nodded and slowly she slid into his arms. Yes, she answered the hug with love and warmth, as a sister can give to her brother.

"Harry, thank you very much."

For the first time in Harry's life, he gave Gemma a hug as she deserved. He saw Mark peered out from the kitchen in the background and actually it felt good that he was there.

"We have each other." he whispered to her. "I'm your brother and from today I'll treat you like my beloved sister."

She sobbed a little.

"I need you." she whispered back. "And I need to have a brother who's there for me."

Harry felt his heart ached with love.

"I'm there for you."