She nodded and walked away.

"Is it a problem I'm here?" Matthew asked as soon as I opened my door again.

"No. No not all. My mom was just surprised that's all."

"Why?" he asked genuinely.

"Well, because we really aren't friends. I don't think she really expected you to be here..." I said trailing off.

"Oh," he said quietly. "Hey, can I smoke?"

"Not in here!" I exclaimed surprised.

He chuckled. "I wasn't going to smoke in here. I was just wondering if you minded if I did."

"I mean, I would really rather you not but if you must, go outside."

Matthew nodded, got up, and climbed back through the window. He sat down on the roof and pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket along with a lighter. I watched as he lit the cigarette and closed his eyes taking a long drag. He looked peaceful. I wondered how long he had smoked.

I poked my head out the window, "Hey Matthew?"

He opened his eyes and turned to me, "Hm?"

"Could you... Could you help me with chemistry?" I asked shyly. "I'm not very good at it."

He nodded. "Sure. Bring your stuff out here."

I retreated back into my room, grabbed my stuff, and clambered, none to gracefully, through the window. I cautiously made my way over to Matthew. As I went to sit down, my foot slipped out from under me. Matthew immediately grabbed my arm and hip and stopped me from falling. I gasped for air

"Are you okay?" he asked, the cigarette falling from his mouth, concern lacing his voice.

I shook my head, "I-I hate heigh-heights." I stammered.

"Oh. Let's get you back inside then." He kept his hand on my arm to steady me as he reached for the cigarette and put it out. He guided me back to my window and helped me back into my room.

I noticed my hands were shaking and quickly tried to hide them in my pockets but Matthew noticed too.

"What's up with your hands?" he asked gently taking one.

"It's anxiety." I responded embarrassed as I pulled my hand from his. "It happens when I get scared."

"Will it stop?" he asked sounding worried.

"It should soon."

I tried finishing my chemistry homework with Matthew's help but I couldn't seem to calm down.

"I thought you said it would stop soon." Matthew said randomly, taking my pencil from my quivering hand.

"I guess I'm just really shaken up." I responded tossing my binder on the floor.

"Why do heights scare you so much?"

"I was traumatized years ago. But I'd rather not talk about it. It'll make things worse."

"Oh. Okay." He responded not pressing the topic further. An awkward silence filled the air. I played with my comforter and Matthew looked around my room.

"I'm going to get ready for bed." I announced abruptly, grabbing my pajamas.

"Here, I'll leave." He said as he stood. "It's your room." He left closing the door with a quiet click.

I stared at myself in my mirror and took deep breathes, forcing myself to calm down. Once I felt more steady, I changed into my pajamas and got the room ready for Matthew. I pulled the extra mattress out from under my bed and threw a pillow and my extra comforter on it.

I let Matthew back in. "Are you good sleeping down there?" I asked him.

"Oh yeah." he said quickly as he sat on the mattress pulling his shoes off. "It's perfect."

I climbed into my bed and turned off the light.

"Good night, Shaina." I heard Matthew say softly.

"Good night, Matthew."

I knew I would probably wake up in the morning and he'd be gone and we'd go back to pretending we didn't know each other, but for tonight, I was glad Matthew had tapped on my window.

Here is my new book! I hope you guys enjoy it!

So this book contains mild bullying, self-harming, and abuse themes along with some choice language which is why it is PG-13. At this time there will be no sexual content in this book because I don't feel comfortable writing that type of stuff. If, at some point, I decide to put something like that it will be implied and not go into any great detail. But other than that I hope you guys enjoy The Boy at the Window!

Xoxo,
Avery