Chapter 4

"I can't believe you forgot your buddy Larry! I'm unforgettable! Even you, Edgy! You haven't said one word to me ever since I got here! I object to that! Objection! Objection, I say!"

"Larry, will you please stop your incessant whining. You're a nuisance on our ears."

Wow. Edgeworth, are you really just going to be upfront like that? I shouldn't expect any less from him though.

"Edgy..." Larry was tearing up again. Edgeworth ignored him,

"Larry," Phoenix asked, "what are you doing here anyway?"

"What do you mean 'what am I doing here'? Are you suspicious of me? Nick, you know what I'm like.  I wouldn't do anything bad, you know that! And why can't I be here? I can be anywhere I like, right? I'm definitely not here for a date with a sweet looking girl." 

"A...date?"

"How did you know I was on a date?!" Larry, you just told us. "Whatever. Yeah, I'm on a date. Her name's Ala Mode. She's a model for Gamut magazine and she's amazing! Everywhere I go, I always see her beautiful face on every street."

A model? Larry's pretty lucky. How he managed to get a model to go out with him amazes me. Hmm... he's one for romance and dates, isn't he? Maybe he can help us!

I nudge Pearl and whisper in her ear. "Let's get Larry to help us. He knows a lot about dates."

"Okay!"

I stand up and wave Larry over. He stopped talking to Phoenix and Edgeworth and wandered over to us.

"Hey, Maya! How have you been? And how are you, Pearl?"

"I've been great, Larry. Actually, I'm doing amazing! But we need your help."

Pearl looked up at him with a serious face. "Do you think you can help us, Larry?"

Larry gulped and rested a hand behind his head. "S-sure I can! Well, it depends on what it is."

"Don't worry! I'm sure you can help us. We need to ask you something but..." I looked behind Larry to the attorney and prosecutor who seemed to be in deep conversation about something. "It involves Nick and Edgeworth."

"Huh?" Larry follows my gaze. "Then shouldn't they be here and not me?"

"NO! I mean, it's about them. Just look at them for a second and tell us what you think about the way they act."

Larry turned back around and focused his attention on his childhood friends. He tilted his head left and right, squinting, unsquinting. He craned his neck forward then back like a bird.

"I'm sorry, but what is it that I'm supposed to be looking for?"

I slap my forehead. Pearl follows suit. Does he really not see it? The man of romance is standing right in front of us and he can't see something as obvious as this?

I point towards Nick and Edgeworth, waving my hand around in hopes that he might understand what is happening.

Larry turned back around and watched them. He tilted his head left and right, squinting, unsqui-

SMACK!

"Ow! Peeeaaaarrrlll! Why did you do thaaaaat?"

Pearl had just slapped Larry on the arm. A small, red handprint stained Larry's tan skin.

"Larry, how can you not see the love between them?"

"Lo-lo-love...WHAT?!" Larry blinked several times, wide eyed. "Th-the love?! Between Nick and Edgy?! That's... that's..."

I watched as he pondered for a moment. I grew worried, wondering if we broke him.

Was it really that shocking? He has known them longer than Pearl and I have so I guess it's understandable that he's in shock.

We had been standing there for a good few minutes watching Larry in deep concentration before Phoenix and Edgeworth joined us.

"Hey, so what have you guys been talking about? Miles and I were just discussing some work stuff and how I could improve."

A hint of pink rose on Edgeworth's cheeks. "Nngh. Yes, there are many areas you can improve upon, but for now, may I remind you that we were supposed to go somewhere. In celebration of your victory perhaps?"

"Right, right. Let's go, everyone. Larry, did you want to join us? Edgeworth's paying if that's any incentive for you to come."

Larry stared back at Phoenix. "Edgeworth's paying? Wow. I didn't expect that from you, Edgy. Since when did you get all nice?" Edgeworth glared, sending Larry into a sweat. "I-I'm kidding, Edgy! And sure, I'll come along."

I looked at him, quizzically. "Larry, I thought you said you were on a date?"

"What? Oh yeah, the date. Well, actually," Larry scratched the back of his head and stuck his tongue out, "she's not coming. She had a last minute photoshoot she needed to do, so here I am!"

"Is that so?" Edgeworth questioned, "I would've thought she was leading you on."

Larry was in shock again. "She wouldn't do that! Ala wouldn't do that to me! Never in a million years!" Tears formed in his eyes again.

Oh no, more waterworks. "Larry, cheer up! I'm sure Edgeworth didn't mean anything by it." That is a complete lie. 

Larry wiped at his eyes and sniffed. "Thanks, Maya. You're the best friend ever, unlike some people." He glared at Edgeworth who simply shrugged.

"I'm completely fine with not being your best friend, Larry."

"Edgyyyyyy!"

"Shall we go have our lunch, everyone?"

Wright nodded. "Yeah, let's go."

As they left, Larry suddenly stopped crying and smiled widely at me. "How was my acting?! Was it any good? Think I convinced them?"

What is he talking about? "Larry, what do you mean?"

"My acting! I didn't want them to know that I'll be helping you so I pretended I didn't know anything."

...what? "That makes no sense, but we're happy to have you on board. Pearly here is the mastermind behind our plans, so let's listen to what she has to say."

Pearl put her thinking face on and walked silently between me and Larry. "Since we're going for lunch, I think we should make them sit together. It's not exactly the kind of romantic setting I was hoping for though."

"Leave that to me! I can set up the table and prepare everything before they even make it to their seats." Larry gave a huge thumbs up and winked. I gave Pearl a doubtful look. 

I'm not too sure about this but it's all we got for now. And here I thought we were more prepared... "Pearly, what do you think?"

She looked up at Larry who was still showing the thumbs up, slightly wavering from holding it too long. "Okay, Mr. Larry, I trust you to do what you can to get Mr. Nick and Mr. Eh-ji-worth together. Make the lunch date as romantic as possible, please!"

"You've got it! I won't let you down!" Larry matched Pearl's big smile.

I feel like this can only end badly but whatever! Let's go!