"nevermind" richie shouted at the sand, "you gotta work on your jokes richie."
"i got lots more years to learn from."
"that didn't make sense."

and ever since that day, the two have been inseparable. they spent every recess together, every lunch together, everyday together. but stan always wished it had been just them. together. the two of them.

but then richie met eddie.

stan and richie stood with their moms outside the office. on the windows, the classroom they would study in would be display. it was first grade now and richie was excited. richie had always loved school. stan did not. he only liked going because richie was there. "i hope we get the same classroom."

"don't fret my prince, were the dream team, we can't be separated."
"sorry boys, different classrooms."
"WHAT!" they yelled in unison.

"no, you gotta talk to the big fat man (richie!) stan and i have to be in the same class!" maggie shook her head, "im sorry rich, we can't switch your room."
"this is bullshit!"
"hey!"

stan covered his ears, dad wouldn't approve of that language. "this is war."
"okay richie, calm down."
"mom.. what am i gonna do? i'll be alone.."

at this, richie softened and hugged stan tightly, "nothing will keep us apart."

oh, what a lie.

on the first day of school, richie saw eddie. tiny eddie kaspbrak with his poised manner. tiny eddie kaspbrak in a yellow polo shirt, buttoned up all the way and with denim jeans that were too big for his small body. he sat on the chair with his hands folded neatly over his lap. he had a pencil out, laying down on the table right next to his folder. his legs were crossed at his ankles and he was staring intently at the board.

richie wasted no time, running up to the boy in hopes of befriending him. "whaddup loser!" he yelled, sitting heavily down on the chair and accidentally kicking the table. eddie's pencil rolled away and eddie gasped. "sorry bout that, i got you." he bent down to grab his pencil and then handed it out to eddie. eddie grimaced, "are your hands sanitized?"

"uh what?" richie stared at the pencil oddly, "are your hands clean?"
"no..?" eddie scrunched up his nose and took out a smaller bag from his backpack. he grabbed a small bottle, "put the pencil down" richie did so, "cup your hands."

"what?" eddie sighed, "put your hands together." richie cupped his hands and eddie squished the liquid out and it fell into his hands, "it smells funny."
"rub your hands together."
"i know i know."

when he had gotten all the sanitizer in, he grabbed eddies pencil again and gave it to him, "thanks, im edward, but my mommy calls me eddie." richie smiled, "you still call your mom, mommy?"

eddie blushed, "yes. what's it to you?"
"nothing, nothing. i'm richie."

"nice to meet you richie." the two spent the time together and when recess came around, richie grabbed eddies hand and walked him to the playground.

stan was waiting for richie in their usual play place, behind a trees, behind the swings. he peeked out, wondering why richie was taking so long. then he saw. richie was walking hand in hand with another boy. a brunette with curly hair. stan's smile faded, replaced by it was that same dark feeling he'd felt back when he was five. was richie replacing him? no, he couldn't lose richie. richie was his best friend. but then why did richie ditch him for this nicely dressed boy?

he hid behind the tree. he closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the tree. when he looked again, richie was pushing eddie on the swings and stan felt like crying. "he forgot about me." he whimpered and made a run for the bathroom.