Assignment

*Six years ago*

Stiles stood next to Allison in the large room of the recreation hall the council had rented. This was meant to be a serious occasion, 'The branding ritual where they took up the official title of hunter by bearing the mark', but Stiles and Allison couldn't help but exchange smirks as Gerard spoke.

"Today we acknowledge a new line of hunters. They have gone through rigorous training and studied the craft with valor, knowing what is to come. They are here to accept the fight as their own. To bear the weight of those before them,"

Allison snickered, forcing Stiles to break. He quickly covered his laugh with a cough, earning them a glare from Chris.

When Gerard finally stopped rambling about 'the honor being bestowed upon them' he gave each of them the 'honorary medal' as it was called. It was a black cord with a silver fleur de lis hanging from it; the hunter crest.

-

*present day*

Stiles' fingers traced the silver symbol that still hung from his neck. Most hunters didn't wear theirs, but Stiles always did. He wore it for his father, as a reminder of who he was fighting for, who he was fighting against.

"Stiles, we are here today because we have a special assignment for you," Gregor spoke firmly.

Stiles frowned. They usually just had Chris do the assigning. They rarely delivered one themselves.

"But we need to know you're ready for this assignment," Cassandra added.

"He's ready," Gerard piped in.

Kate remained quiet. She was only there as an observer. She would soon be taking her father's place as head of the council.

"What is it?" Stiles couldn't imagine what kind of assignment would warrant a face to face visit with the council.

"The Hale pack has returned," Gregor spoke next, his grey eyes boring into Stiles as if daring him to make the wrong move.

Stiles blanched. The Hale pack had been the one that killed his father.

"They've rebuilt and come for more blood," Gerard growled, his hands shaking slightly with the illness that was killing him. He'd been growing more and more sick, but it didn't keep him from his life goal. To wipe out all werewolves.

"I don't understand, you want me to take the assignment?" Stiles glanced between the three members of the council. There was a strict no personal attachment rule.

"We know it is unconventional," Cassandra started.

"This is the pack that killed my dad. This is the definition of unconventional. Our number one rule is don't make it personal. This is very personal," Stiles' tone was angry. Why would they dangle this in front of him? He couldn't not make it personal and he couldn't believe they would even expect him to.

"He's too young. And too close to this," Gregor spoke sternly, looking to the older man.

"This is why we need him. It has been years. We have not been able to wipe this pack out and this alpha is too strong. He has generations of blood in his spark. We need him taken out. Stiles can do it. He may be young but he drive and has never failed us."

Stiles' jaw was dropped slightly. They wanted him to make this personal.

"Sir, you said that feelings get in the way. I-"

"I believe in this case, you can use those feelings to do what needs to be done," Gerard responded almost angrily.

"Feelings cloud your judgement, Gerard," Gregor's voice raised.

"Why because he's my family? When have I ever put my family before my duty? I lost my daughter in law to these animals. Stiles is one of our best, the only reason we haven't put him on this sooner is because it's personal for him. But it has been years of us hunting this pack. Derek Hale is the last survivor, we take him out, we take down the Hale pack for the final time. No more passing on the alpha status. It ends with him," Gerard's whole body was shaking now but Stiles was sure it was more due to the anger the man was feeling and less to do with the cancer slowly eating away at his insides.

"I say we give him a chance. Our other hunters have failed thus far," Cassandra's eyes cut to Kate briefly.

Kate's tension didn't go unnoticed by Stiles.

"How many?" Stiles asked then, glaring down at the symbol in between his fingers.

"Three just this year but over the course of-"

Stiles cut Cassandra off, "How many wolves," He corrected, looking up at the woman.

"We believe there to be at least a dozen including the alpha," She answered.

"Wait, you mean to tell me, you don't have an exact number? Names? Ages?" Stiles huffed, dropping the pendant finally.

"We lost track recently and haven't gotten a confirmation on the number. We know his main betas for sure but-"

"How can you expect anyone to take down a pack without the proper information?" Stiles was angry. This wasn't just any pack, this was one of the strongest packs. One of the oldest packs.

"You're familiar with going in blind I hear," Gregor piped in then, his tone accusing.

Stiles knew what he was referring to. His shoulder ached at the mention of it.

"I for one do not think he is suited for this task."

"And who would you assign? Donovan?" Cassandra snapped.

Gregor tensed. His son was his pride and joy and would never assign him such a dangerous task.

"We already made this decision, we just needed confirmation that he was up for it. I for one, think he is," Cassandra glared at Gregor before turning her attention to Stiles.

Suddenly all eyes in the room were on him, awaiting his answer. There was a part of him that said this was a bad idea and he would find himself hurt if he wasn't careful. That part was his father's voice. Then there was Gerard's voice reminding him of how vile werewolves were. Telling him horror stories of loved ones ripped away.

"I'll do it," Stiles said, holding his head high. Fighting to keep any feelings out of his voice. He could approach this like any other assignment. He would just use the anger to drive him, not to cloud his judgement. Compartmentalize. He'd been trained most of his life to do this. It was just another day at the office.

*AN*
Hope you like it! 🖤🖤