Five

Five

Everett stormed into the Confederate ward and marched straight to Joshua's bed.

The other man looked up at him, alarmed. "Doc?"

Everett grasped the man's collar and pulled him straight off the cot. "I know who and what you are to Grace," he growled in a low tone meant only for the other man's ears. "I know about her husband, and the rest of her family too." He gave Joshua a vicious shake. "Leave her be. Do not put her in a situation that will cause her to take risks. Do I make myself clear?"

Joshua's eyes darkened as he glared back at him. "I don't know what you're talking about," he said in a flat tone.

"The hell you don't." Everett tightened his grip on Joshua's collar, beating back the urge to pummel the selfish bastard. "Know this, Burrette, I will do everything in my power to protect, Grace. Everything."

Joshua returned his unflinching glare in full measure, but said nothing.

Everett finally dropped him back onto the cot, praying the other man would come to his senses and leave Grace out of any escape attempts he might make. Grace could go to prison, or, worse, the noose if she was caught aiding these rebels. A plan began to take shape in his mind. The sooner he got these soldiers transported away from the hospital the better for Grace. She may never speak to him again, but at least she'd be safe.

Everett ran up the stairs straight to Colonel Dayhuff's office. He rapped on the door.

"Come in."

Everett quickly entered the room. "Good morning, sir."

"What is it, Connors?"

"The Confederate soldier that was brought in last night has revived. I believe he was suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration. He's recovering quite well and should be ready for transport from the hospital at anytime."

"Excellent, and what of the others?"

"In my opinion they are all ready for travel."

~*~

Grace leaned against the white-washed wall outside of Colonel Dayhuff's office as anger and betrayal welled like acid in her throat. How dare he? Everett was planning to send Joshua to the prison camp right under her nose!

Panic seized her. If she intended to help her brother-in-law she'd have to act fast, but what could she do? The Confederate ward was under constant guard, and the windows barred from the outside. She would have to find a way to get the men out of the ward so they could slip away under cover of night.

She shoved away from the wall, mind racing with possibilities. She didn't know how long it would take to arrange transport to the prison camp. Two or three days perhaps? If she could manage it, they'd escape tomorrow night.

The door opened and Everett stepped through. "Grace," he said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

She forced herself to remain calm in the face of his blatant betrayal. "I need to speak privately with Colonel Dayhuff."

Dread darkened his pale eyes. "Grace, don't," he warned.

She ignored him completely, and shoved past him into the colonel's office. "Dr. Dayhuff, might I have a moment of your time."

The colonel glanced up, irritation written all over his face. "Can it wait, Sinclair? I'm in the middle of something, and I keep getting interrupted."

To her surprise, Everett followed her back into the room. "Actually, Colonel, I require Nurse Sinclair's assistance rather urgently."

Grace glared at Everett. He knew what she was about and intended to thwart her admitting that Joshua was her kin. "This will only take a moment of your time, Colonel."