Chapter 5: Forgotten Shirt

Start from the beginning

"I won't," I say with a laugh and take them from him. We head out to his truck. I throw my stuff in the back. I get in and instantly change the radio. He smiles at me but doesn't say anything.

Once we get on the field Coach calls us over. "Okay guys, I'm gonna push you hard today. Doing three laps around the field. Move it!" Three laps is hard for me. I can't imagine what some of the guys will feel.

On the last lap, I'm pumping my legs as hard as I can. I finish first but collapse on the ground, gasping for breath. It's three minutes later before anyone else finishes.

Ashton comes in fifth and falls down next to me. We both don't have the energy to talk. It takes a full 20 minutes before everyone is finally finished. Coach gives us five minutes for a break.

"Alright, now I need you guys to line up at the end zone. Backward high knee to the other end and back. The first one done gets to sit out next."

I start to run but instead of pulling ahead, I stay with the leading pack. As soon as we get halfway through on the way back I push all I have. I finish first, not really a surprise there. I really want a break. I train on my own but my body is already tiring out. Coach wouldn't reward someone unless the next thing we do is hard.

Everybody made a move towards their water bottles. "Whoa, hold up. Over here."

I watch as they all slump towards him. "Lunges four times, up and down. That's eight times total. I will be watching."

They all start doing lunges. Some are fast, others slow. Depending on their motivation, this could take 20 minutes or it could take 30 minutes. From the looks of it, it's going to be 30 minutes.

"Hey Cecelia, come here."

I slowly pick myself up and walk over to him. "Yeah?"

"I was hoping you'd win. I need to talk to you. I've been handling these first few conditioning practices. I want you to start controlling them next week. They need to know that you really are their captain. I'm telling you now so you can plan ahead a little. Judging by the look on your face, you already have." He laughs.

"You know me too well. Alright, I think I can handle it and your right, I don't think they are taking me seriously as captain. Well, mostly the seniors."

"Yeah, your boys already know to do what they're told. The ones new to you aren't sure how they like having a girl as captain. They haven't seen your mean side either, it's pretty ruthless. You'd make them do 10 lunges instead of four." I laugh and he shakes his head.

"When they're done I want you to round them up, tell them to change into workout clothes and head to the weight rooms. Tell them to take it easy, no more than 30 minutes, then y'all can get outta here."

"You aren't going to tell me to take it easy?" I joke.

"Would you even listen?" He laughs and shakes his head.

Most of the guys are coming in. I wait five minutes after they're all finished. I check my phone, 8:22. That gives them eight minutes to change.

"Alright boys, over here." They groan and slowly walk over. "You need to change into workout clothes and head over to the weight room. Coach said to take it easy." They all grumble and head to the locker rooms.

I head to the girls locker room. I go to my bag to see what I have. I'm normally prepared but with Ashton around I forgot to check. I come up without a shirt. I only have a sports bra and mesh shorts that are an inch shy of my fingertips.

I sigh to myself. Nothing I can do about it now. I walk into the weight room and head straight to the machines that work leg muscles. The boys holler and whistle at me. I roll my eyes and plug my music in.

I learned last year that if I put my music on low I can still hear people talking. Came in handy at times. I can hear a senior yell at Ashton. "Looks like your girl forgot something."

Ashton comes walking over to me and his eyes widen. His sits down on the machine next to mine. "Where the hell is your shirt?" He growls, low enough that only I can hear him.

"I forgot one, okay?"

"What about the one you wore here? Where'd that one go?"

"I wasn't wearing one under my hoodie." I giggle.

He blushes for a second but it quickly disappears. I love how he can flirt with any girl, do anything, and never get embarrassed. Though, when his best friend tells him she wasn't wearing a shirt he blushes. He's such a guy.

"Well, then why didn't you skip?"

"Just because I'm a girl without a shirt doesn't mean I can't workout. I have more on than most of the guys anyway."

"There's a reason for that stupid. If any guy makes a move, I'm punching the daylights out of him." He gets up and walks over to the bench press before I can say anything.

I don't get it. He can play all the girls in school but a guy can't even look at me? He can go all protective on me sometimes. It makes me want to punch the daylights out of him.

Wesley walks over and sits down next to me. "You know it's 'cause he cares, right? Don't be mad at him. Look if you want to go after a guy, go for it. He will get over it."

I nod but don't say anything. I keep thinking about what he just said. Could I go after a guy? I'm not one to throw myself at guys, but it would be nice to find someone.

"Stop thinking. You're going to be a junior. Every guy thinks you're sexy as hell. You could get any guy you want. I shouldn't be telling you this, and I'm definitely going to get killed but, there's a party Saturday at Blake's. Dress up, show up, and party. You deserve it and maybe while you're at it, find a guy. If Ashton asks, you didn't hear it from me." He makes a motion of zipping his lips. I nod and laugh as he gets up and joins the other guys.

I look up at the clock, 9:08. We're done. "Alright, boys!" I yell. "That's enough. See you guys later."

I head to the locker room and grab my bag. I don't bother changing or showering because I'm hot and I run in these clothes outside all the time. It's usually dawn though and nobody sees me.

I'm walking out of the stadium as Wesley comes running up to me. "Yes?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

He puts his hand up, and I wait until he catches his breath. "Thought I was gonna miss you. I wanted to know if you'd like to come to the park with me." I glance at Ashton's truck where he's waiting patiently.

"Without Ashton," he adds. I look at him skeptically and he puts his hands up in defense. "I only want to talk."

I nod and set my stuff down at his feet. I run over to Ashton to explain but before I say anything he snaps at me. "What does he want?"

"He wants to know if I want to go to the park with him. I came over here to tell you to go ahead."

"Why does he want to go to the park with you?"

"To talk." I'm offended by the way he said that but I let it slide.

"About?"

I throw my hands up and groan. "I don't know Ashton. What are we doing, playing 20 questions?"

"I'll see you later then," he says and roars out of the parking lot.
____________________________________________
Author's Note:
No Ashton's POV this chapter. What do you guys think? What will happen at the party? Will she even go?
Enjoy lovelies!