Chapter 23: Protecting You

Cecelia's POV:
___________________________________________
You could feel it rolling off us in waves. I'm pretty sure the opposing team could feel it and they are all the way across the field. The tension couldn't even be cut with a knife, you'd need a chainsaw. I sat on the bench lacing my shoes and watching the boys from under my helmet.

I think they thought I wouldn't show. I may be fighting with them, but football is my passion, it's something I want to make a career out of and I wouldn't let them stop me. At the very least, I hope it'll bring me through college so I can have a career.

I stand up and make my way towards Coach, but a hand on my shoulder stops me. I glance at it and tense. I'd recognize that hand even if I was 90 and had Alzheimer's. I lift my foot to step out from underneath it, but his grip tightens.

"Release me Ashton," I grit through my teeth.

"Not until you talk to me," he says, sounding defeated.

I sigh and turn to face him, successfully making his hand drop. "Give me time to cool down."

I don't wait for a response and turn towards the field. I look at the other team practicing and my stomach twists, they're not bad. I mean we're not either, but a lot of our winning is due to teamwork. I think everyone knows that tonight we will not be the winner.
*****
We didn't even score one time. We lost that bad. Everyone was off their game. I dropped a hike, my receivers fumbled the ball way to many times, and Ashton missed two blocks and I was tackled. Lets just say it wasn't my favorite game. Now, I'm going to have to face Lindsay tomorrow and she gets to say I told you so.

I slide my bikini on and make my way towards the pool. I stretch and wince when a sharp pain goes through my side. I twist to look and my eyes widen at the sight. There's a purple bruise the size of my hand. I'm almost positive one the guys who tackled me also rammed their fist into my side.

I jump when a ringing sounds through the house, signaling that someone is coming up the driveway. When I get to the door, I cross my arms and put my hand on the bruise to hide it. I open the door to find Grace, Ashton's mother, and Ashton himself awkwardly standing behind her.

"I'm so sorry, did we interrupt your swim?" She hugs me and I stand there stiffly.

She pulls back confused, but doesn't comment. "No, I wasn't in yet," I open the door wider with my other hand to let them in.

"Good! I hope you're hungry because we brought Chinese food," she takes the bags from Ashton and heads toward the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, I tried to tell her not to come, but when she sets her mind to something," he starts.

"She intends to do it, I know," I finish for him.

I adjust my arms, trying not to make it too obvious. A sort of comfortable silence follows. I make my way into the kitchen to find Grace talking on the phone with a worried expression. She hangs up and sends me an apologetic look.

"Something wrong?" I question.

"There's an emergency with one of my clients. The wrong fabric came in and it's supposed to be completed in two days. I'm sorry to rush off, but I need to fix this," she grabs her purse and gives me another one sided hug.

"It no problem, we need to catch up soon though," I laugh and walk her to the door.

"Yes, maybe we can go shopping when we have some free time. Ashton you'll have to bum a ride from her. I love you both, see you at home Ashton," we watch her rush off to her car and wave as she leaves.

"Liar and really bad too," I comment as I close the door.

"I'm sorry, I should've known she would pull something like this," he rubs his hand down his face.