Senses Fail - Buried a Lie

Yeah, its been awhile people.  I've really been in the mood to write about music, so I thought why not come back here and post another segment.  Anywho, enough of the lame explanation, let's just dive right in.

Rest in peace girl

Your death is such a shame

The paper said a bullet got in your way

But I smell foul play

Possible poisoning

I had to bring you in for questioning

I went to your grave

Dug up your body

Brought it to my house

Where you lay

So let’s play doctor babe

We'll operate today

Incisions must be made

You could help solve this case for me

I headed downtown

To share what I had found

It's not a suicide, it's a crime

I have a witness

It's clearly evident

There had to be someone else present

At the time of death

Poisons in stomach

How could she pull it

If she's dead?

So let’s play doctor babe

We'll operate today

Incisions must be made

You could help solve this case

We need a scalpel now

Under white lights you lay

We've got to hurry up

Before the flesh decays

Away, away

I'll catch the murderer

And send him away

I'll get the evidence

From your last day

Your last day

(Your last day, your last day)

So let’s play doctor babe

We'll operate today

Incisions must be made

You could help solve this case

We need a scalpel now

Under white lights you lay

We've got to hurry up

Before the flesh decays

Away, away

Senses Fail is an extremely underrated band that deserves so much more attention than what they get (in my opinion).  Most rock and punk fans I believe would easily enjoy Senses Fail, maybe even some fans of metal and hardcore music as well.  I first learned of Senses Fail through the band My Chemical Romance, I noticed how the name kept popping up in interviews.  The members of MCR would say every so often how they toured a few times with Senses Fail and how they became friends.  MCR only had nice things to say about Senses Fail.  Eventually I thought why not and give them a shot; their band name also intrigued me as well.  That was probably a half a year ago maybe, it's been a little hard to keep track of time recently so I really don't know how long ago that was.  Anyways, the first track I heard was Buried a Lie and I loved it immediately.  After that I got quite a bit of other songs and would just casually listen to them every so often.  Fairly recently I've been getting a lot more into them and have found to love them more and more with each passing day.

SInce I've been liking them more I've been trying to find out more information about them but sadly haven't really found much.  They're definitely a back burner band, and whether that's their choice or not is really up in the air.  Maybe they like to stay more unnoticed and closed, rather than be on the cover of numerous magazines and be shitting interviews out of their ass, who really knows...I sure as hell don't.  It is slightly annoying when trying to learn basic information, for example, just finding out Buddy's (vocalist) birthday was a struggle and I'm still not sure if it's one hundred percent correct.   I do know though that this song is off their debut album, Let it Enfold You which was released in 2004.  Buried a Lie is the fourth track on said album.

Getting back on track to the song, it captured my attention right away.  The opening melody the guitar plays makes you listen to the song, you just don't even get to have a choice, the song chooses for you and makes you listen.  Then once roughly ten seconds has passed the song picks up and gains more power.  You will eventually find yourself humming the melody at some point after you've heard the song.   When Buddy's voice comes in I can instantly hear the strain and passion he possesses.  Buddy has one of those unique voices (in my opinion) that could be easily labeled as "ugly," but definitely beautiful nonetheless.  I'm a total sucker for nasally, scratchy, out of tune voices, Buddy's is not that bad, but he does have a voice that you will remember, especially when he screams.  

Moving away from the sound of the song to that actual meaning now, the first thing that needs to be stated is that in my quickish research I couldn't find any solid evidence of Buddy or any members for that matter stating the meaning of the song.  What people have said is that one time on stage before the song, Buddy said that this song is about losing faith.  Someone else said he opened saying that this song is about his ex-girlfriend who cheated on him.  Another source claims that he dedicated the song to "all the underage girls who are going to get fucked tonight" during a show.  Yet finally another source claims that Buddy simply wanted to tell a story, the source claims Buddy loves crimes shows like CSI and he wanted to make a song about a crime that could be in the show.  All these statements are backed up with no evidence however, so believe whatever you want.  

I believe that this song mainly is just telling a story, one that is pretty blatantly stated; a girl "kills herself," but really she was poisoned and the narrator is trying to prove her innocence.  I also firmly believe there is a lot more to this, from what little I do know about Senses Fail and Buddy specifically is that he always has a lot to say in songs.  He's very honest and most songs have numerous metaphors referencing multiple things.  He definitely seems to be a firm believer in that songs should be meaningful and not just silly and fun.  Connecting back though to one possible meaning Buddy might have said about it being about losing faith, I can very easily see that.  Many Senses Fail songs deal with religion and I'm not sure if Buddy meant losing faith religiously or not, but I see the song simply being about losing faith in the person you love.  I think the narrator is dealing with a very serious mental breakdown due to his loved one dying.  I think though he hasn't fully accepted her death (even though he does mention her being dead, towards the end of the song however he starts to snap) and sees her in a way of being alive.  He's getting upset that she's not helping him solve the case for him, he is forced to make incisions and literally pull the evidence out of her.  Maybe during the relationship they promised each other they'd always be there for one another and help the other in their time of need, but when he needs her, she's not helping him so he's losing faith in their relationship.  Another way to look at the song that is more obvious is that he's losing faith with the police/court system, because they aren't looking into her death more.  They just seem to overlook her and just deem it a suicide to just save time and money, so in order to prove that she was in fact murdered it's all up to the narrator. 

Those are just a couple ways to look at it, Buried a Lie is a little weaker on meaning wise, but it's still a great song that will be stuck in your head.  Well, until next time kiddies.