C h a p t e r S i x

Start from the beginning

“At least we have that then.” Casey sighs before leaning back against the kitchen counter. “Well? Going to spill the beans or not?”

“I’m…I’m meeting up with Charlie’s dad.” Robin admits in a whisper. “He came back into town recently and looked me up. He says he wants to meet Charlie.”

“Shit. Really? And you’re going to let him?”

“Yeah.” Robin sighs. “I mean he is Charlie’s father.”

“Well if that’s true where has he been the past six years while you’ve been here taking care of his kid?”

“He said he had to leave.” She tells Casey with a shrug. “He was in some bad shit before but he wants to get to know us.”

“And this ‘bad shit’, is it done with?”

“I don’t know.”

“See?” Casey scowls, crossing her arms over her chest. “That’s what I mean. He was in a bad situation before but what if he’s still in that shit. What if he meets Charlie and drags both of you down into some fucked up position that neither of you should be in? And it’s not just Charlie either. You’re a good girl, Robin. I don’t want to see you hurt.”

“He’s not like that.” Robin defends immediately.

“You don’t know that.” Casey snaps. “You haven’t been around him in years and when you were around him it was for one night. Am I the only one being logical about this?”

Robin pulls the plug in the sink and watches the water drain in a daze. Casey’s trying to look out for her, she knows that but she just doesn’t see the truth in anything her friend is saying. Luke isn’t like that, at least he doesn’t seem that way to Robin so why shouldn’t she give it a shot when he seems to genuine in doing the same? Yet, Casey’s words are affecting her as an unwanted thought of how many women Luke probably was with over the past six years enters her mind. Maybe that’s what the situation he’s been hinting to is about.

Shaking the thought off she faces Casey, “Either way Charlie deserves to know who his dad is. He’s getting older and the questions have already begun. Soon he’ll ask more questions once he starts going to school fulltime and without talking to Luke, whether he sticks or not I need to know what to tell Charlie.”

“I get it.” Casey sighs, relaxing her posture. “I do. I just don’t want to see this backfire on you.”

“It won’t.”

“How can you be so sure?” She asks with a raised brow.

Robin shrugs with small smile, “I just do.”

>< 

Luke is losing his mind.

Four damn days he hasn’t seen Robin and Charlie. His wolf is nearly crazed with not being able to know if they’re okay or just to see them at all. He keeps fighting the urge to go by the trailer just to peek in on them, just to relive his own mind. She keeps calling the shop to cancel their plans and now Jessup and Gabe are starting to get suspicious of him.

Luke’s eyes keep wandering to the clock every five seconds hoping that he’ll be able to leave soon but only keeps being reminded that he still has an hour left. Finally she has a day off from work and as soon as his time here is over he’ll be running to get to them. It’s the only thing that’s keeping his wolf from forcing him to shift right now and track them down.

“Luke?” Jessup calls from the office doorway. “Can I talk to you a minute?”

Wiping his hands on a shammy cloth to clear off any oil he gets to his feet before following Jessup into the office. Jessup sits behind his desk he gestures for Luke to sit down and he does but with hesitation. The intense look in the older man’s brown eyes has him thinking he may need to run at first given opportunity.