Part 2 (Mao Mao)

Whenever a cat feels there is something dangerous in their surrounding proximity, their senses usually react as fast as possible. This is something that makes a cat a cat. When I feel it, my ears move, and my hands want to unsheathe my dear Geraldine from her long casing as fast as they can. You could say this is something that shapes me, and who am I to call that disagreeable? After all, once a cat, always a cat. Whenever a monster from the forest beyond comes to town in an attempt to demolish it and disfigure its charm, it is because it probably hears me, or because of something else that's able to set it off. This is something that makes a monster a monster. I never know exactly where they come from, but I find delight and great fun in slaying them.

Here, the abrupt noises of our monster alarm bounce off the walls in every possible direction, filling the entire room with noise. Having lived in this small house we call our HQ for a time, I know very well what this sound means. My deputies arm themselves for another exciting battle, which will be just like the rest, but at the same time will give us unique memories of its own. I arm myself as well, and then the familiar routine of answering a call for help guides us to the scene of the situation. Today, we're headed to a field of flowers. It appears more blue than green at first glance, for there are plenty of bluebells growing in it.

We arrive somewhere near the kingdom's borders, and we see a gargantuan beast with distinguishable white reptilian features and a set of ivory teeth identical in length, but also an arrangement of sparkling scales running from the top of its head to tip of its tail. As much as some other person would be enthralled by the sight of the sunlight shining down on the scales, I know very well where my duty as Sheriff lies, so I do not have time to admire it. With that, I run towards this monster from behind it and take my signature daring leap.

I swiftly climb up a nearby tree to carry my momentum and swing from one of its five sturdy branches, inevitably landing on the part of the spine which connects the tail to the back. As I keep going, the scaled monster doesn't seem as tough. I can better understand how we will be rid of it. One quick slice on the neck ought to do it.

Developing one's sense of balance is important if they aim to be a good adventurer. How else would I have been able to stay afoot on the monster's back while maintaining my grip on my sword? (Not that I'm bragging about it; that wouldn't be the nicest of me.) With both hands gripping her tightly and my feet consistently moving upon the beast, I ready Geraldine behind my head and close my eyes. But before I can land my hit, my ear begins to twitch once more.

Within a few seconds come noises that are what the sounds of a broken fridge crying would be like, only much louder. My deputies aren't the type to pass moments that I know aren't worth my time, so I turn to join them to see what's making said noises. Then I see it.

It is small and thin, and its face is red. Just like the creature I am standing firmly upon, it is lizard-like and has the same pattern of scales going down along its body. It continuously tries to stand on its hind legs, waving its front ones about. Our eyes meet for a moment, so I guess it's trying to get my attention. How strange. What does it want from me? After a second, though, it turns to the left a little. Looking to my right, I can see the monster's lengthy neck as it stretches out over the ground. Its gaze is locked on the beast's head, and it continues to cry. In front of it lies a pile of a special kind of flower that is the colors of the rainbow, just like its shining scales. Occasionally, it takes one of them in its mouth and goes back to waving frenetically again. That is when a realization dawns on me- this smaller creature is begging for the larger one's attention. It wants to show it something nice.

Around two months ago, Maya, a cousin of mine, reported that blue bells were a key part of the diet of this monster. Remembering this, I can only assume that it came here for its lunch. However, the huge brute will not look at anything else except its floral meal. The tiny thing keeps screeching on, tapping the sides of its legs, but the only thing it does is chew and swallow, continuing to neglect it. For some puzzling reason, I cannot look away from this. A truckload of familiarity surges through my mind.

"Dude, should I?" my co-hero asks, extending his robot arm, which he had shifted into cannon mode.

I give him a quick wave of my hand. "No," I say, returning Geraldine to her sheath.

Taking a deep breath in and out, I leap down from the large monster's back. The little one and I are now face to face.