Part 3 (Mao Mao)

There will always be another enemy for me to battle, another monstrosity to slay, another threat to overcome in this life. I have my differences to other living things in this world (especially a certain group of nefarious pirates who try to strike me down at least once a week), but I sometimes wonder just how similar to others I am. In my youth, trying to befriend someone or just simply have someone to talk to would so often end in something being spoiled or ruined. But there is a silver lining to all of that. There is a nice handful of loyal friends in a sea of people I just couldn't get along with, try as I may. So long as my intelligent, robo-armed companion can be there to lighten the mood, so long as my young protoge can feel inspired by my boldness, and so long as I remember that I'm not alone in this life, I can say that it's worth living. Here and now, I think perhaps I can show this scaly creature what I've learned.

I kneel down to where I almost meet its height. To be completely honest with you, I still can't believe I'm doing this, because the last thing I expected would happen was me relating to a monster. Don't worry- I'm still planning to put down the big one.

"Hello there," I tell the little one. "What's going on?"

He looks away from me, again gazing up at the elder I'd just been standing on.

"Is that your parent?" I ask him, with a sense of upset in my voice.

I can hear him grumbling, and his grumble morphs into a high-pitched whimper, which then becomes a low groan. Its voice is somewhat grating, as well as high and piping. My face falls as I listen to it, and just for a moment, I think I can feel my chest being torn in two, and not from shallow pity.

I pick up one of the flowers he's collected, and he doesn't try to stop me. He does, though, nudge my arm with his snout as if he's asking me when I'm going to give it back. The flower seems to be in a state of exhaustion, slumping down from the edge of my hand. With its crinkled, withering petals beginning to disconnect now, it is on the edge of the limited platform of life, just about to fall off. I fear that the same thing may happen to this young monster's happiness, or his state of well-being altogether.

"These flowers are absolutely beautiful," I gently say. "It's terrible that your elder can't see it." At this point, my emotions boil within me as if I am a pastaiola. As much as I cannot deny that I know his pain, I also cannot hold back my frustration. I am more aware of Geraldine resting at my side and my left hand taking hold of her sheath. If I listen closely enough, I can almost hear her whispering to me with little "shings."

But I should not do that, at least not yet. I must not make any wrong movements. Besides, even though this is not exactly my first choice for someone to relate to, I suppose it's beneficial to have one.

I breathe in for a prolonged moment and exhale for twice as long, a technique I learned to keep my seething irritation at bay. Once I regain control of my mind, gripping the reins tightly, I say, "Listen, little one. Don't be afraid. I, too, have fought the grisly battle that is dealing with pain from someone you're expected to trust. Believe me, I know." I stroke his back, gently running down its rows of glistening scales. Somehow, it feels like the right thing to do. "But you may feel better if you pay him no mind and turn to someone who truly cares for you. That's how we form connections in this world."

I knew it was true. We, as living creatures, no matter what place we come from or how different from each other we are, are known for our incredible ability to build relationships with one another. A miniature bird can take its perch on the back of a sturdy rhinoceros the size of a light truck, and if you see them around, you could probably listen to them having nonchalant conversations into the small hours. The flower of a cactus in the desert can be the best friend of a fluttering moth, who comes to it whenever it needs a place to rest. I can even hear chattering from the ants, marching up and down their mound erected between blades of grass. They work together extraordinarily well, letting their separate strengths join forces and never leaving a single one of their own behind. They treat their regular deliverer of sustenance like a brother of theirs, carrying it back to its home when the journey to their hill has worn it out.

In some connections, a creature will want to benefit from another, but the latter does not get anything in return. It is either because the creature expects the other to be given nothing, or it simply does not care. I should not care for those types of bonds, and neither should this young monster. A bond where one can both receive basic needs, trust and pleasure and give those things to its partner is the kind that truly matters. This, at least to me, is truly a beautiful thing.

I'm reminded of how frail the little one looked when I first laid my eyes on him. I rest my hand upon his back. His face perks up, and his new excited gaze meets my gentle one. I can't help but give him a second back rub. "If you need some help with anything, me and my comrades would be honored to assist you. Just to be clear, you're totally okay with me slaying your elder before they ruin someone else's life, right?"

He responds with what passes for a nod, emitting a thrilled squeak, and picks up the flowers to hold them in his mouth. He then scurries to a spot feet away from us and sits down. From the looks of things, he wants to watch us, which, of course, is perfectly fine with me.

I might just take home one of those gorgeous scales as a trophy once I'm done. Until then, I have to finish the job, as I always do. I motion to the others to call them back to my side, and we prepare to perform what I believe will be an act of liberation. The small beast will not be disappointed, nor will anyone else who I know will graciously show me their appreciation. I beam, drawing my blade as the crisp breeze lets my cape take flight.

———

Dude, what IS this? No need to be so dramatic! Half of what you wrote here doesn't even make sense. You sound like a guy in a zoo in this part. And that's not even what happened that day!

That IS what took place. I was trying to sound profound!

I saw you pick up that tiny monster and cuddle it.

Badgerclops, I said in the first part that-

Come on, dude. Don't be afraid to say it!

I loved it! It's so good that there's someone out there like you, Mao Mao!

You're right, Adorabat. It is.

My point still stands. In fact, I'm gonna do the exact same thing you did, where I talk about my life and stuff. Then, we can see who's actually right.

Sure. You can. But let me have this!

Alright. Leaving you alone now...