Halloween Update!

Start from the beginning

After about 20 minutes, the village came into view and Reed announced a race to the entrance. The two of you ran the rest of the way and burst into laughter when you crossed at the same time.

"I clearly won." You said with a smile as you walked down the cobblestone path that led throughout the village.

"You wish. I went so fast that not even the princes could catch me." Reed laughed as he stopped in front of one of the shops. "I want to go say hi to Mr. Hokle."

You nodded, "That's fine. I have to go buy some food anyway so I'll be a few shops down."

Reed nodded and disappeared inside one of the buildings. You walked a little farther down and then entered a store.

A bell announced your entrance and a lady on the far side of the large room looked up from her book.

"Well hello Miss (Y/n). It's your weekly visit isn't it?"

You smiled as you grabbed a few herbs and vegetables, "Yes it is Mrs. Waples. Its Thursday after all."

The older woman smiled and nodded, "Of course. The usual huh? I swear you and that boy hardly eat anything, yet you seem fine."

You smiled and shook your head, "I just know how to get by with very little ma'am. We've both been through a lot and-"

"And you can adapt to your situation. You say that every week dear, come up with a new excuse." She winked and went back to reading her book.

Eventually you came up to her and dropped a few coins on the counter, "Will that be enough?"

"I don't know why you insist on paying for everything. I always say you can take whatever you need." The old woman huffed.

"I feel like a burden if I just take it." You smiled meekly.

"Never say that. I enjoy looking out for you and that small boy. Tell him to come visit me one of these times, you hear?"

You smiled and waved as you exited the building, "Of course Mrs. Waples."

When you got back down through the shops, Reed was already waiting for you.

"Ready?" You asked as you came up to him.

"Yeah." He said as he smiled slightly.

The two of you made your way to the center of the village. Usually you let Reed play with the other children for a while, while you talked and caught up with the other people who lived there.

The center was marked by a fountain and you sat on the edge, watching Reed vaguely as he ran off towards a group of kids.

"Well if it isn't Miss (Y/n) (L/N)." Someone said and you turned to see a man sitting beside you. A sudden burst of cold air ran by the fountain and you shivered slightly.

"Hello Jeremy." You gave the man a small smile.

Jeremy was about your age and he had brown curly hair with brown eyes. He was the first person who welcomed you and Reed into the village.

"How's life been on the outskirts?" He asked, glancing at Reed.

"It's been good. Anything is good though compared to what we've gone through before." You answered, a small laugh escaping your lips.

"Yes, you're right." He smiled faintly. "If you guys ever need anything, just tell me. Don't hesitate."

"I won't." You said with a smile. "So, what's the new gossip this week?"

Jeremy laughed, "A lady came through a few days ago and is staying at one of the abandoned shops. She claims she can read spirits and have conversations with the other side. It's a bunch of fake tricks meant to bring in money though."