Coming To Terms

You slowly lifted your eyelids to see the sky.

Micah...

Someone was carrying you through the main entrance.

Wait...Micah...

You couldn't move your mouth. It took so much effort so you resigned yourself to closing your eyes again. Someone was waiting back there, but you were too tired to try to move.

~~~~

Aiden carefully sat your sleeping figure on the bed and scowled, "He wasn't supposed to make it back to her."

Connor was pacing in front of the fireplace, his face contorted in worry and thought.

"Connor! What do we do?!" Aiden growled as he watched his brother go back and forth.

What do we do...Connor repeated as he replayed the last few minutes in his head.

 You were screaming something, and the two princes had come to see what was wrong. Micah's dead body was in your arms. Seeing no other choice, they gave you a sleeping injection.

"Connor!" Aidens voice split through his brothers thoughts and he turned around to look at him.

"What?! Can't you see I'm trying to think!?" Connor pulled at his hair as he glanced at you.

"This close to the masquerade...What do we tell her? How is she going to react!" Aiden sank to the ground, "I don't want to lose our progress with her! She was starting to love us!"

Connor gazed at you, "There's no solid lie that will cover up everything that's just happened. We could tie her up again, but that wouldn't accomplish what we want her mental state to return to. We could continue to drug her until the masquerade, but there's the risk that she won't wake up."

Aidens eyes darkened as he stared at the ground, "That damn clothing boy. He ruined everything...again. I should've killed him sooner. I should've taken my sword and just..." He made mock stabbing motions.

Connor nodded silently, "We'll let her wake up in a few hours and access the damage. No matter what, she will make it to the masquerade and be the queen."

"I'm too antsy." Murmured Aiden as he looked at his hands and methodically moved his fingers.

"We both are. Go ahead and do what you need to. We can switch off in an hour. That should be enough for you right?" Connor rubbed his temples as he sighed.

Aiden smiled darkly, "Oh, more than enough. I'll see you soon brother." He mused as he exited the room.

Connor walked over to you and ran a finger down your cheek, following the stains of tears.

"Why waste them, dear?" He murmured as he sat beside you, "He was nothing. A mere pawn, so why would you lose sleep over him. Pay attention to your kings." He leant down and kissed your lips softly before pulling back and waiting for Aiden to return.

~~~~

Running.

A lot of it.

You were looking for something...someone...you didn't know. It was pitch black around you and your footsteps echoed around in the abyss. You were out of breath, but this was important. You needed to find this.

A white silhouette stood up ahead. Your heartbeat increased. Was it what you were looking for.

"Hello?" You called out as you came closer. You reached your hand out, but the figure disappeared. You looked around wildly seeing it off in the distance again.