Chapter 3: Trouble

"What do you mean Steven's in trouble?" I whisper. The quiet of the house seemed to be the complete opposite of the scattered thoughts racing through my mind. The chill of the night wind sending a shiver up my spine. My curtains moving slightly from the open window.

"He's barricaded himself in the bathroom! He won't even talk to us!" Pearl was silently sobbing from the other side of the phone.

"Okay, okay h-hold on," I hesitate, putting the phone on my bed. I creep over to my closet and throw on a sweater and leggings. I grab the phone lying on my bed and carefully open the door to the hall. The house would seem to be completely vacant if it weren't for my parent's faint snores from the other end of the hall. I look up to the ticking clock, 2:13. I tiptoe down the hall and stairs. I grab some sneakers and slip them on. Slowly, I move over to the door, opening it at the pace a snail would. I step onto the porch and turn for my back to face the silent street. I shut the door and lock it with the house key kept under the doormat. I slowly turn to face the street, my eyes closing to listen to the sounds of the wind. "Okay Pearl, can you send Lion ov-"

I almost scream as I open my eyes to see the pink animal in front of me. He nuzzles his head into my stomach, looking up at me with large eyes. "Hey don't do that!" I whisper. "You could've gotten me caught..." Lion pushes himself into my side. Forcing my arm to wrap around him. "Oh I can't stay mad at you." I place a soft kiss on top of his head. He purrs before stooping for me to hop on. I adjust myself before grabbing his mane and nodding. He moves to the street before growling and running into the opened portal. As we enter, the bright lights and colours fill my vision. Years ago, this was amazing, my mind would only be able to grasp the surface of how magical this whole world is. But now I can only think of Steven.

As the portal opens to the house, I see everyone standing around the bathroom door. Garnet holds back Amethyst as she threatens to smash open the door. Pearl still holds the phone, finally clicking the line dead with tears stained on her cheeks. Lapis and Bismuth try to bribe Steven out with snacks, while Peridot insults him saying it was her bathroom first. The whole ordeal would be quite entertaining, if it weren't for the fact that Steven never does anything like this. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned myself. I hop off Lion and walk over to Pearl.

"What happened?" I ask, my voice low.

"I-I don't know! He just locked himself in there!" She sobs. "Amethyst saw him just run in there and then hearing him cry!" My face pales as I think of anything making him cry. He's already been through so much, why should there be more? I push the thought aside and gain my composure. I walk over to the door, gently knocking against it.

"Hey Steven." I say softly. Everyone falls silent, hoping that this somehow works. "Can I come in?" I hope deep down to hear something at the least. My heart begins to race as the silence stays on the other end, until I hear shuffling, the sounds belonging to no one outside the bathroom. I hear things dragged across the floor before a simple click. My head snaps up at the sound to the now unlocked door. My eyes widen as I think to all the possibilities on the other side. I hear some fast shuffling before it disappears once again. I turn to the gems, they nod for me to continue. I vigilantly open the door, walking in. I shut the door behind me, partially alarming the gems, but I trust Steven. But that doesn't stop me from being wary of everything. I turn on the light, staring at my messy hair in the mirror before turning to the left. I almost fall to the ground as I see someone so recognizable, yet so unfamiliar at the same time. He stares at me with rose tinted eyes. His pupil starting to form into the shape of a diamond with tears filling his eyes. His body stays curled, his knees at his chest with arms wrapped around. His arms have small purple patches across them. Almost half of his face covered in the colour. The most confusing part being the light pink horns growing out of his head and back. I step back, tripping over my own feet, collapsing to the ground with a large thump sound.

"Connie!" Steven almost growls. He immediately gets up and comes running to me.

"Connie?!" The gems frantically ask.

"St-Steven..." my voice sounding hoarse as I try to croak back my own tears. He crouches down, before falling to sit himself. "Does that hurt?"

"N-no..." He hesitates. Only now do I see the small fangs molding in his mouth. I pull him into a hug, my arms wrapping his body. It's icy cold, causing my concern only to grow.

"Tell the truth Steven..."

"N-no it's only j-just a little." He says. I push a small kiss on his forehead, making a strong blush consume his face.

"Why did you hide it?"

"I-I just didn't want t-to worry you guys-" he interrupts himself with a sniffle. "With it."

"Oh Steven.." I groan, shoving my head into the crook of his neck. "You're kindness is by far the most dangerous for you."

Silence consumes the room as he holds me, as I do him, just soaking up the other's presence. He places his head on top of mine, kissing there before resting his chin. His hands holding my back, making sure we're as close as we could be.

"Y-you don't think i-it's" I sob.

"Corruption." He firmly says.

"How are we gonna fix this?!" I ask, still cuddling up to him.

"I-I don't know."

~

AN: Yeah this is just that one shot oops... but hmmm what's gonna happen next- lmao I dunno how to write an's anymore lmao