I'll be the one.

[Levi's POV]

Red.
I despised the colour, it was an ugly colour, the colour of blood. Most people would say that red is a colour of love, however, the only connection I can make between the colour red and love is blood.
That was my last memory of my beloved Petra, the woman who was going to devote herself to me, the woman who put up with me even when I was in the worst of moods, the woman who I loved. I see her sweet, angelic, smiling face every night when I go to sleep only for it to be ruined by that dreadful colour red.
Crimson red blood staining her pale cheeks and plastering her shiny golden locks to her face. I have the same awful nightmare every night, I awake in pain, thinking of how I could've saved her.
Tonight's nightmare seems worse than the usual, I instead see myself and Hanji walking, we're walking on sand, we've finally made it to the ocean. I see Petra there too, she is nothing but a translucent glow, reaching out to me, screaming my name. The dream version of myself ignores her dreadful cries as if I cannot hear her at all, she stumbles towards me, her cheeks glistening with tears as she laces her arms around my torso only to find they go straight through me and I react with only a shudder. What was wrong with me? Why could I not see her? Why could I not hear her?Why was I not aware of her presence? I awoke in tears, my body slick with a cold sweat which had drenched through my clothes. I could hear screaming faintly and my throat felt raw, it took a moment to realise that the pained screams I could hear were my own.
It was Erwin who came to my aid, the tall blonde was obviously shocked to find me in such a state during the early hours of the morning but he sat down on the edge of my mattress and pulled me to his chest, encaging me in his strong arms, his calloused fingers raking through my moist black hair. My fingers trembled as I gripped the back of his shirt, burying my face in his chest and howling. "It's okay, Levi... There's no need for you to be alone... I've got you now... You're okay..." Erwin whispered to me in a soothing tone as he held me.
His heartbeat was frantic, I must've startled him when I suddenly began screaming my head off. His heart soon calmed down and I attempted to do the same, slowing my rapid breathing to match the pulse of Erwin's heart. I gasped for air and breathlessly began speaking out in a raspy voice. "I-It was Petra... H-Hanji and I... We made it outside of the walls... We defeated the titans and we made it to the ocean... Petra was there... I couldn't see her...! I couldn't even hear her...!" I managed to choke out before releasing a sob that had built up in my throat.
"Levi, I know it's difficult but you need to stop grieving... It's been five years since the incident..." Erwin murmured as he dried my tears with the sleeve of his shirt. "Petra wouldn't wish to see you like this, she would want you to keep fighting the way you have been these last few years. She would want you to be happy and to forget the past and concentrate on making a future for yourself..." I wanted to protest. How could I forget the only person who ever loved me? I opened my mouth to speak but closed it after Erwin began talking again. "You're humanity's strongest soldier, I know that you can become stronger if you move on from the past..." Erwin spoke in the softest of voices as if he were speaking to a child, he held me close in his arms until I had calmed down completely and he then refused to leave my side. "I'm going to stay here with you, if you have another nightmare then wake me up... I'll be the one who will fix you. I'll be the one, Levi, I promise."
I'll be the one.
Erwin's words echoed in my head all night as I drifted off to sleep beside the blonde, my legs tucked up to my chest to make room for the male to sleep beside me. I slept peacefully for the rest of the night, my mind too busy processing what Erwin had said to be clouded with dreadful nightmares.