Monster mayhem at its finest.

I picked up my can of V-Nasty Extreme 72 energy drink and gulped it down – too excited to drink it slowly.

The air force had to regroup – one final attack. The remaining jets came zooming in and launched their last set of missiles.

The barrage hit the alien in all four eyes.

Letting out a high pitched death shriek – the creature blew up – its gooey body falling all over the city – melting everything in sight.

As the planes flew off into the distance – the screen faded to black and the credits began to roll.

Heading out of the cinema – my phone went off. The name 'Maniac' flashed on the screen.

"Yo – Dude Mar – I have returned," Robert Beaumont – one of my two best friends – announced from the other end. "Let the rest of the world know the Maniac is back in town and ready to rock and destroy – whichever comes first."

"Hey man – how was your trip?"

"Uncomfortable. Traveling in economy is the lowest of the low. No ice cream. How savage is that?"

"Brutal."

"Heard anything from Ian?"

"Not yet."

"What about Archie?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary on his end though he did find some information on the Cult Of Ratu. Seems they are in the process of getting a new leader. Word in the ZoneRaddaman's Wrath are on the move too."

"I didn't come across anything in England to do with the Ratu or the Wrath but I did discover the existence of another Circle."

"Do they have a name?"

"Circle Of The Broken Chapel."

"I thought the last Renegade Circle was hunted down and executed twenty years ago?"

"Clearly one survived. I tried all the avenues searching for them but kept running into a dead end. They could have gone underground. We can bring it up with Archie and see if he recognizes the name. Maybe his father mentioned them before he was killed."

"Sounds like a plan."

"What about Scott and his crew?"

"Haven't seen them all summer."

"They didn't act on their threats?"

"Dude – that was four months ago. Water under the bridge."

"When it comes to the Goon Squad – we need to keep our guard up."

"I know."

I turned onto my street.

"What about the Inghallseev?"

"I haven't been looking."

"How the hell are we going to be ready to take on the forces of darkness if you and Ian can't keep your eye on the ball? Once the Zegirodath officially begins – we will be fighting two wars. Beyond that – we have a chance to do what no other incarnation of the Circle Of The Seventh Reign has been able to achieve – destroy the stalemate and gain access to the Spiral Dominion!"

"Calm down chief. I've got the message and the t-shirt."

"Sorry man – didn't mean to preach."

"Already forgotten. Hey – never guess what?"

"What?"

"I ran into Donna a few days back. She was asking about you."

"Hopefully you told her to get lost."

"Not my style."

Robert yawned. "Look man – I need to get some sleep. We will pick this up tomorrow."

"Sure," I said, ending the call.

Trudging up the driveway – I took my key out of my inner jacket pocket and thrust it into the keyhole.

Heading straight for the kitchen – I found a note written in black marker stuck to the fridge.

It read –

Dad working late / Gone outlet shopping with Selena / Steak pie for dinner / Sitting in the oven with love.

Signed – MOM.

Crushing the note – I moved over to the fridge and pulled out a small tub of chocolate mousse.

Opening the cutlery drawer – I took out a tea spoon with the intention of enjoying the dessert once I was in my room.

The mousse didn't make it.

By the time I reached the top of the stairs – there was nothing left except a few scraggly lines.

Time to start the Watch – for real this time, I thought, throwing the tub in the wastepaper basket near my computer desk.

I stepped over to my telescope and adjusted the lens.

Surfing over a great collection of stars – I focused on the area above the fields outside of town.

While studying the arrangement in the distance – I caught sight of a strange circular light.

The thin disc darted like a hockey puck – flinging to the right – zooming to the left – then shooting straight up.

Picking up the stand – I got to my feet – hoping the new level of height would allow me to keep track of the mysterious object.

Too late – the disc had become one with the night sky.

Then it hit me.

Couldn't be.

But what if it is? The voice in the back of my mind whispered.

Could that thing be the Inghallseev?