"What are you doing?" I asked in lieu of a greeting, pausing in the entryway.

Calin looked up and smiled. "Hey! You ready to go?"

"Go?" I looked between them. "Go where?"

Calin glanced at Maible. "You didn't tell her?"

Maible shrugged. "I didn't want to steal your thunder. You arranged this. I am just playing decoy."

"Of all the things you decide to keep a secret about." Calin shook his head and went back to packing the cooler.

"Decoy for what, exactly? Why are you packing food, Calin? Where are we going? Don't we have the dance tomorrow night?" I looked at Maible. "I thought you wanted help decorating for the dance?"

"Oh, but that's already done," she said, smiling sweetly. "Don't worry, if Devland calls, you'll either be sleeping or showering or decorating."

"But?"

"You totally won't be here," she said.

"Okay, if one of you don't tell me what the hell is going on, I'm leaving." I crossed my arms and looked at both of them, hoping Calin would glance up to look at me in return.

He placed the last of what he planned on packing in the cooler and secured the lid, locking the handle in place so that it was upright. Finally, he turned to me and smiled. More than his grin, his eyes were lit up, and he truly seemed happy.

"What's going on, Calin?" I asked again. "I wrote Devland a note, which you know he is going to flip his lid over, so I need a reason to want to get into another confrontation with him."

"Well, I know that you've had a rough week, recovering from everything," he said, not moving away from the table. "Plus, you've been through a lot before that, what with the whole memory ordeal and Duvessa. Not to mention the time you weren't given to grieve over your mother."

"And?"

"I thought it was time that you had a night to relax." He shrugged. "You called your friend from Briarville and I realized how much different you are with her. Maible and I talked, and she told me it's probably because you've known her your whole life. She is your family."

"Her family is my family," I said, including Aiden and Aubrey-Lynn.

"Right." He nodded.

"So, what?"

"I have Nancy's number since we called, so we've been talking this week. She helped me make a surprise for you. Or, at least, Maible came up with the idea and Nancy helped me organize it. She was the mastermind behind this whole decoy agenda."

"We are doing something Nancy suggested? Do you have any idea how wrong this can turn out?"

"It won't." Calin laughed and picked up the cooler before started across the room. "She's ingenious, you know?"

"Uh..." I tilted my head, hoping that there would be some sign that indicated he'd been hit over the head. No idea that Nancy came up with was sane.

Party?

Blind Date?

All bad ideas.

"You honestly have no idea?" Maible finally interjected, and I turned to her. "I told you that I had an idea to solve your problem contacting Briarville!"

"How about we take the surprise out of this and you tell me?"

Maible turned to Calin and raised her eyebrow. "I don't think she is getting in the car if you don't spill it, Mister."

"I—"

"She's right." I crossed my arms.

Calin stopped in front of me and smiled. "Nora, we are going to Briarville for the night. If we leave now, we will get there for a late supper. Aiden and Aubrey-Lynn said it was okay, and Nancy is expecting us. Her boyfriend—Jules? –is going to be there, too."

"Are you serious?" Something blossomed in my stomach and stretched into my chest. It had been so long since I'd been truly happy, I almost didn't recognize it. My leg twitched as though my muscles were trying to remind me to move.

Calin nodded and appeared to be biting his cheek.

"Why aren't you out the front door already?" Maible asked.

"Right."

I sucked in a breath and pivoted, though I didn't move until Calin nudged the small of my back, giving me the push forward that I needed.

Sure, I knew it was probably a bad idea. Somehow, Devland would figure out I left, but I didn't care. By the time he realized I wasn't here, they'd devised their plan so expertly, it would be too late for him to stop me.

My steps quickened as we made our way to the street and I nearly hopped in place waiting for Calin to unload the cooler in the backseat of his car and unlock my door. I watched him over the top of the car as I waited, unsure how I was ever going to thank him. I couldn't believe he'd contacted Nancy behind my back to arrange it.

Finally, I was headed home.

The only thing that dampened my elation was knowing I'd have to come back.

A/N: Dedicated to @AllyAnderson7 for reminding me to update in the most polite way! I hope you like Calin's surprise.