"What?" I looked between them. "Why?"

"Cause you are coming for a sleepover," she said.

"Why? I'm not decorating for the dance tonight, Maible," I said.

"I know that!"

"Then what?"

"Can you trust us and wait?" Calin finally asked, interrupting our exchange. "Tell Devland that you are sleeping at Maible's, pack a bag with PJ's and whatever girls need, and then meet me at Maible's."

"Am I going to have to sneak back into the Manor or am I actually staying there? This all seems very... fishy."

Calin turned into the driveway of the Manor and parked behind his car. We all got out of my car and he rounded the front, stopping beside me and holding out my keys.

"I promise, you won't have to sneak in and it is truly a sleepover. It'll be fun."

"Are you sleeping at Maible's?" I snatched the keys from him, fisting them as I crossed my arms.

He laughed. "No."

"Then?" I shook my head. "I'm so confused."

Calin grabbed my shoulders and turned me towards the door, leaning in to whisper, "You'll like my surprise, Nora. Go. Get showered and changed, pack a bag, and meet me at Maible's. I swear, the faster you do this, the happier you will be. Don't worry. I talked to Mrs. Renaldi and she will stop by to take care of Onyx for you."

Before I could say anything else or demand an answer, Calin pushed me towards the stairs leading to the front door. For once, he didn't wait to ensure that I got inside. Calin and Maible must have ran to his car. A moment later, the doors slammed, and the car sped away, taking my argument with them. I sighed and stomped up the stairs. Whatever they had planned, it better be worth it.

*****

Forty-five minutes later, I was showered and packed. I slung an overnight bag over my shoulder and went downstairs to Devland's office, but he wasn't there. I didn't see him in the dining room, either, so I went back to his office and wrote a quick note to explain my absence. Hopefully, that would satisfy his desire for me to check in if I planned on not coming home.

I wasn't willing to wait for him to make an appearance to ask permission.

Leaving the note on the top of his desk, I went out to my car, not once looking back as I drove away. If I was staying at Maible's and Calin wasn't, how was this a surprise from him? I hadn't packed to stay in the clearing again, though I wouldn't be opposed to it. Still, they were acting off. I couldn't wait to find out what they were planning. Since I had my car, I could leave if it wasn't something that I was okay with.

Parking my car in front of Maible's, I grabbed my bag and went to the front door, tapping my foot as I waited someone to answer the doorbell. It was hot out and I would need another shower if I had to wait longer than a couple of minutes. Shifting my weight, I raised my hand to knock just as the door opened.

"Finally!" Maible rolled her eyes and reached out, yanking me inside. "Hurry up. Calin's ready to go."

"I'm sorry?" I asked, nearly tripping over her entryway rug as she continued to pull me along with her to the kitchen. "Where are your parents?"

"Oh, they took the kids to the splash park," Maible said over her shoulder.

"Okay, then where is Calin? Why am I here?"

"He's right here," Maible said and we entered the kitchen, where Calin was standing at the kitchen table with a cooler that he appeared to be putting food into.