We just got a letter

Start from the beginning

"What? Wait why did he talk to you about it?"

Emerson chuckled, "what's it to you?"

"Emerson..." (y/n) growled, folding her arms impatiently.

"Fine, fine." He smiled, putting his toy down. "He didn't tell me anything about it. He just told me I was, too young to understand." He said the last bit in an almost mocking tone. "He said he wanted to see you once you got home though."

(Y/n's) eyes widened, unfolding her arms she stuttered, "o-oh ok." With that, she made her way up the stairs. Reaching the top and resting on the creaky hallway floor she took a deep breath in. She walked past all the bedroom doors and made her way to the door at the end. Once she reached it she gave it a gentle knock. Waiting for a response.

"Come in."

Opening the door slowly she saw her father at the back of the workroom, messing around with some tools. She moved past the tables cluttered in bracelets and necklaces, past the draws full of jewelry parts and past an old, almost ancient door. On the other side was the jewelry store the family-owned. She pulled an unoccupied chair out from the workbench her father was working on and made herself comfortable. The dimly lit room was only illuminated by a small lamp at the workspace, on the lamp was a red glass covering, giving the entire room a rose-ish hue.

The old man stopped his work and turned to smile at his daughter. "Ah, (y/n) how did the shopping go?"

(Y/n) shrugged, "nothing I found looked too interesting, it was nice weather however."

He smiled, "I'm glad..." he didn't speak for a moment, (y/n) began to think that maybe it was her turn to say something so she opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by her father.

"I called you up here because I wanted to talk to you about the letter I received this morning."

(Y/n) nodded as she prepared herself to listen.

"The prince has asked me to go on a voyage with him."

(Y/n) gagged on her breath, taken back by the statement. "W-what? Why even?... Does he even know you?"

The man laughed, "well not exactly, but he knew my grandfather generations before."

The girl tilted her head to the side, very confused. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well... it's not too easy to explain." He pushed his chair out and stood up. "But many, many years ago, our ancestors made two rings for the king and his brother." He walked to old crates in the corner of the room, bending down to sort through them, (y/n) closely watching this. "Keep in mind this was a very long time ago." The girl nodded. "Apparently something has gone wrong with them and the prince needs me to help with it, as I'm the only other one who knows about them."

This left (y/n) more confused. "Wait, how does the prince have them then? And why would, going on a voyage... help fix them?"

The man stood up with some papers in hand and made his way back to the desk. "Well, I can only assume the king passed his ring down the generations. Just as how my great ancestors passed down this jewelry store to us." He took a seat and brought his daughter closer. "The voyage part..." the man chuckled, "now that's a bit harder to explain."

He laid the papers across the desk and showed them to the girl. On them were ancient-looking documents, illustrations of two rings laid at the top while what looked like information, instructions, and ingredients laid at the bottom.

"These are the rings that were made for the royal family. My forefathers were smart people and wrote down every mold and material they used. Remember, (y/n) documenting everything is very important." He tapped his head, leading the girl to do the same. "Who knows, it might come to use to your children, generations, and generations down the line." He scooped up the papers and eyed over them.

"There's more to these rings though, (y/n) something that currently, only me, your mother, the Queen and the prince know about, the only ones out of the whole kingdom, and soon, you too."

"M-me?" She stuttered, pointing at herself.

The jolly man nodded, "why yes, I can't explain the importance of these rings without explaining what they do." He sighed, a solemn tone escaping his lips.

"The stones, in the rings, one red and one blue. They hold magnificent-power."

"Like...magic?" The girl asked.

He shook his head, "no, this is described like no magic I've ever seen before. These stones have been growing our crops like no other land, they have been enriching the minds of this kingdom's subjects like no others. They have been protecting us from any threats or misfortune, allowing our kingdom to grow like none other." He closed his eyes, placing his chin on his crossed knuckles, "whatever these stones are doing, it's not magic, it's pure, raw, power." He opened his eyelids, glaring into nothingness. "There's something wrong though."

"What is it?"

"I'm not sure, he wouldn't tell me over the letter. So he plans to inform me, and some others he's recruited when we all meet him at the palace."

"The palace! When?"

"This weekend he says, that same day we'll set sail to do...whatever it is he needs us to do."

"But, father. You can't be serious, a trip like that wasn't made for someone..." (y/n) stopped as she eyed her father up and down. Creased, aged skin and a big belly gave her all the information she needed to know. "For someone like you."

The man laughed at this jolly like, "oh (y/n), it's not up to me." He stood up and began to put the papers back in their home. "I must do my duty as a citizen and report to the palace this weekend."

The girl's heart twisted up, she pushed her cheek against the palm of her hand as she looked off into the lamp on the desk. Blinking slowly as her father's movements were heard in the background. Her eyes widened as she realized something. "Maybe..." a smirk grew on her face. "Maybe you could have someone go for you in your place?" The man already knew what she was scheming to and was ready to shut her down immediately.

The jewelry maker placed his hands on his hips. Shaking his head at the girl. "I can't just do that, I understand your concern, my child. But it's a great honor to-

"I just want you to consider, you've already told me about the rings, and I want to do something before I start school, dad, please."

"That's enough, (y/n). I think it's time we go to sle-

Standing up from her chair she pressed harder. "But father, I can assure you I'd be more than capable of-

"I said enough..." he snapped his direction to the female. "Go to sleep, (y/n)."

She opened her mouth to protest but he cut her off.

"Now."

Standing there for a moment she contemplated on whether or not she wanted to take this another step or submit to her father's pushing. Tensing up her fists she had to take a deep breath to regain composure. Deciding it wasn't worth it she darted in the direction of the door and didn't bother waving goodnight to her father.

The man sighed as he plopped down on the chair behind him. He rubbed his temples together with his fingers and a frustrated sigh left his lips. He had a lot to think about that night.