We just got a letter

Start from the beginning

Just as (y/n) expected, her mother almost choked on her food. "I didn't think you were serious about that, (y/n)!?" She cleared her throat with another sip of tea. "You're a young lady now, you just became an adult and this is what you want to do with your life?"

Emerson grew nervous in his chair, slowly sinking into it as he heard the hiss in his mother's voice. "It's not what I want to do with my life! It's just for the next season. I just want to...I don't know." (Y/n) tried finding something less cheesy to say but there really were no other words. "I just want to go on an adventure before I start working towards an education."

"With what money, (y/n)? I understand you've saved up money but it can't possibly be enough to last you a season. Then what money will you have afterwards to pay for school?"

(Y/n) was about to respond but the two were interrupted, much to Emerson's relief. He just wanted to enjoy his oatmeal in peace. A Knock on the front door inserted itself into the conversation. (Y/n's) mother stood up and patted her dress down. She glared at her daughter while she passed by her, fixing her hair a bit as she opened the door.

Standing outside of the house was a luxuriously dressed guard. The mother squinted at the twinkling gold-laced around the man's uniform. She gasped as she realized. With the carriage behind the young man, this must be a royal guard. Looking down at the royal emblem on the man's front pocket her speculations were only proven more true.

"Oh my goodness, hello there." Yelped the woman, "what can I do for you?"

Hearing their mother's reaction, (y/n) and Emerson leaned towards the direction of the door, still not getting up from their chairs but curious as to who could have made their mother stumble like that.

"Does a Peter Mellark live in this residence?"

The woman quickly nodded, "why yes, I can get him if you'd like." She began to step back, to get her husband who was working upstairs.

"That won't be necessary mam." Stated the guard. She stopped and watched as he rummaged through his bag to retrieve something. Out from the bag, he pulled out a sealed envelope. "Please just make sure this gets to him. It's directly from the Prince."

The woman almost lost her breath at hearing this. This also definitely caught the attention of the other two sitting at the table. "Have a good day ma'am." The guard waved while turning around. The woman closed the door. Stunned, leaning her back against the wooden door she gazed down at the elegant letter.

"What is it, mother?" Emerson questioned, putting down his now-empty bowl.

"It's nothing...you're father just has a letter." She walked past the two and made a quick pace up the stairs, "it's nothing at all..."

(Y/n) and Emerson looked at each other, confusion riddled on their face. It was apparent the two wanted to follow their mother up the stairs. Especially Emerson. He went to stand up but (y/n) pulled him back down. She shook her head, knowing that the two probably shouldn't intervene.

Later that night... (y/n) closed the door behind her after entering her home. Resting on the back of it she sighed, her shopping trip proved unfruitful. Having no bags or boxes in her hand, she hadn't found anything worth buying at the town center in all honesty. Her eyes caught sight of her younger brother who hopped off the last few sets of stairs, patting his legs after his landing he rushed back to the living room to continue fixing up some broken toys he owned.

"What were you up there for?" (Y/n) questioned. Locking the front door she followed her brother into the living room.

"Dad wanted to talk to me about the letter this morning." He answered, examining the underside of his toy carriage.