Lament Of Revenge

It was a day before Halloween and three days since I arrived at East Java Indonesia for my anthropology thesis research.

The rain had been pouring on the third day as well. I didn't know if it was the rain but this unusual feeling kept me on guard.

For some reason my only old neighbour Fitri didn't like me. She would always eye at the house waiting for me to leave.

There was another power cut that night, as the thunder roared.

And I felt it again, as if someone was watching me. I hadn't been getting enough sleep ever since the day I arrived. I told myself I was only tired and not crazy, but could the lack of sleep cause me to see a woman dancing with a fan? to make me hear a faint laugh when the there was no other soul other than myself inside the house.

I heard noises coming from the living room, it sounded more like someone's footsteps and a hum of a song that sounded foreign to me. A shiver ran down my spine.

I grabbed a vase the only thing in my room to knock anyone out.

I opened the door and called out for the person. The moonlight lit up the room and the only sound I heard was the beat of my own heart.

Then the next minute there was a figure standing in front of the door. It started moving towards me. I yelled asking who it was, ignoring the fact the I was trembling in fear.

When it came close, the moonlight shone showing a girl. Her shoulders were dropped, her head tilted and her thick black hair covering half of her face.

I couldn't find my voice for a moment but when I did I screamed staring at her face that was covered in a thick liquid which was no doubt blood.

Blood kept dripping from her chin, her hands and her dress to the wooden floor.

I didn't realize that I had dropped the vase I was holding until I stepped on one of the pieces and cut my feet trying to get back in to my room.
When I did I locked the door behind me and covered myself under the sheet and cried, trying to shook of the images of that horrid girl from my head.

I was woken up when the sound of a music filled my ears. The tears on my cheeks, still felt hot against my cheek.

I walked out and found a music box that had a dancer circling on top, playing a song. I recognized the song, it was the same song that horrid girl was humming. For a moment I forgot about what happened as the music strangely managed to engross me in it.

I noticed the music box had to be wined to play and it wasn't even wined, my legs began shaking as my soft sobs started filling the silent room. I was terrified and I wanted to leave.

Then I realized I wasn't the only one crying, my cries instantly stopped, listening intently to the sound.

The same girl was sitting on my couch with her legs against her chest. One hand was stretched as she moved the fan through the air.

"Who are you?" I yelled again, crying.

"Please stop" I whispered when she didn't reply.

Her face snapped at me "Help me!" She said in her native language. I understood what it meant as I learned about the language before I came.

"What?"

"HELP ME!!!!!!" She screamed crying.