8 - Christmas Eve

Start from the beginning

"Is Harry going to be there?" I asked, not meeting her eye as Draco's hand clenched in mine.

"No, he's tied up at the Ministry doing last minute paper work before Christmas."

"We'll be there." Draco said, both Ginny and I looking at him in surprise. "Just give us a couple of hours to get some shopping done first."

"Great!" Ginny beamed. "It'll be fab to catch up."

She gave me one last hug before darting away.

"Fab?!" Draco raised an eyebrow. "And what exactly does she want to catch up about? We only saw them two days ago."

I playfully smacked his arm. "It's called being friendly, Draco. It wouldn't kill you to try it once in a while."

He looked down at me, studying my face. "You know what, Rosie? It's lucky you are cute."

***

Just two hours later, Draco and I, laden with bags went bustling in to the warmth of the Leaky Cauldron. I spied Ginny, Ron and Hermione at a table by the fireplace, each cradling a bottle of Butterbeer.

"You go and join them," Draco said, taking the bags out of my hands. "I'll get Tom to get these sent back to the Manor while I grab the drinks."

He kissed my forehead before disappearing in the crowded bar. I pushed through the throng of witches and wizards, all merry with festive cheer, until I made my way to the table.

"Rosie! You made it!" Hermione grinned as I slid down on to the bench besides Ginny.

"Where's the Prince of Darkness?" Ron asked, looking towards the chattering mass at the bar. "Lost him down Knockturn Alley?"

"Getting drinks," I smiled, choosing to ignore his little dig. I noticed Hermione giving him a very stern look. "Grief, I'm never doing my Christmas shopping at the last minute again. I'm frazzled!"

"Lovely atmosphere though," Ginny grinned, as a flushed cheeked, cheery wizard suddenly started belting out a Christmas tune at the next table.

Draco returned, carrying a large bottle of Firewhisky and five glasses. He dumped them on the table before scooting up on the bench next to me.

"Happy Christmas. Don't say I never give you anything." He muttered, draping his arm over my shoulders.

"Wow, thanks mate." Ron grinned, opening the bottle and pouring five equal measures.

We all toasted to Christmas, clinking our glasses together and wincing as the Firewhisky burned down our throats.

Draco downed his in one and had already started pouring another before I had even taken my second sip.

I raised a questioning eyebrow at him and he smirked in response. "You want me to be friendly? Well I find this helps."

"Here here!" Ron cried, who was matching Draco drink for drink.

"Men." Hermione sighed, shaking her head, as Ginny giggled next to me.

***

"I love this woman," Ron slurred as he slumped his arm around Hermione. "Did I tell you that she- she-" he paused as he let out a small belch. "She's magical, mate. Pure magic."

He clumsily went in to kiss Hermione's cheek but missed and head butted her nose instead.

"Ow! I think you've had enough now," Hermione grumbled, rubbing her nose.

Draco sniggered besides me as he cockily took another swig of Firewhisky. "Can't handle your drink, Weasley? Perhaps you should stick to Butterbeer in future."

I smacked his knee under the table. "Draco, be nice!" I hissed at him as he chuckled softly in my ear.

"But that's no fun, Rosie," he said huskily, sending tiny little thrills down my spine.

Ron emitted a loud, sudden snore. He had passed out on Hermione's shoulder.

"Come on," said Ginny, standing up. "I'll help you get my useless brother home."

She and Hermione both took an arm and heaved him up off the bench. Ron jerked awake and mumbled something about figgy pudding before resuming his snoring.

"Have a good Christmas you two," Ginny smiled, staggering under the weight of Ron.

"And you. Give my love to the rest!"

When goodbyes had been exchanged, they were gone, and it was just me and Draco left at the table.

Draco downed the last of his Firewhisky and stood up, taking my hand.

"Let's get back home, I want to take those clothes off of you." His eyes twinkled as he winked at me.

Without waiting for a response, he pulled me hurriedly through the crowded pub, his hand squeezing mine tight as bodies drunkenly fell into us.

When we stepped outside, the cold air made me gasp out loud as it painfully stung my cheeks. The ground was now a white sheet under the glow of lamplight. The snow was still falling, the flakes now like giant balls of white cloud. Draco pulled me to him, wrapping his arms tightly around me, as if trying to warm me up with his body.

"You know I love you, Rosie Carter," he murmured in my ear, and I couldn't help but detect a slight slur to his words.

"I know you do," I smiled, kissing a snowflake off of his nose.

"I'm going to marry you, one day."

"Why, Draco Malfoy, is that a proposal?" I laughed.

"I mean it, Rosie." He looked at me bleary eyed, slightly swaying on the spot. "I'm going to marry you and buy you a house by the sea."

"That's all I ever I want," I whispered, brushing my lips against his.

Somewhere, a clock chimed midnight and people cheered from inside the Leaky Cauldron.

"Merry Christmas, my beautiful Rosie."

"Merry Christmas, my Slytherin Prince."

***