Waiting in the Wings

(Post Debutante)

"Good night, Athy!" Jeannette beamed at Athanasia as she left the blonde haired princess alone. "Good night to you as well, Jeannette!" Athanasia replied with a gentle smile on her face. Silence followed as Athanasia stood there, alone in a dark hallway. The she sighed heavily before turning her heel towards her own ruby palace.

"Guess we all are born with parts to play." Athanasia sung to herself as she walked down the halls. "Some of us are stars, and some are just in the way. I know I was meant for glory, but that's never what my story brings. And yet I keep on waiting-" She looked back at Jeannette's palace before continuing on her path back to the ruby palace.

"When you have the passion and the drive. You expect your moment center stage to arrive. I show up with heart a blazing! Ready to achieve amazing things. But I'm left waiting in the wings." She lamented about that time of her debutante, where Jeannette was introduced to her father. While she was forgotten and shunned.

"I hear my cue. And yet I'm kept there, waiting!" Athanasia then remembered all those times where she tried to please her father by teaching Jeannette the way to become a good princess, but was ignored. "Know what to do. And still I stand there, waiting. It's always someone else who sings. While I'm left there waiting in the wings."

"And so I keep on keeping on! My chances come and then I blink and they're gone!" She remembered of the time where she was so enthusiastic about seeing her father after all those years ever since she saw him in his garden.

"Always overlooked unfairly. While pretending that it barely stings." She remembered how she was silently mocked by the other nobles when she showed up without an escort nor payed attention to by her father. Even more so when Jeannette was introduced. "But it stings, yes it stings and I'll shed no tears!"

"I'll only keep on waiting! If no one cheers. Well, I can keep on waiting. Who cares how loud, the silence rings." Athanasia remembered all those years that she could've tried to get close to her father, if only she wasn't a foolish coward. "You'll find me waiting in the wings." Athanasia sang in barely a whisper as she arrived at her home. With tears flowing down her face.

•••••••••

(Post Poisoning Incident)

Athanasia sighed sadly as she tried to hold back her tears. Jeannette was poisoned during the time where they drank their afternoon tea and she was accused of poisoning her. True that she is envious of Jeannette and Claude's relationship, but she will never do something like that when she knows how much Jeannette means to her father. But, there was no point of defending herself now. She was sent to prison and is to be executed at morrow.

She also doesn't see the point of defending herself if no one would believe her nor support her. She is alone. Besides Lilian, she has no one. And Lillian was also sent to prison and is to be executed along with her tomorrow morning. To help her hold back her tears, she decided to sing a little song. Her final song, most likely.

"Guess by now I oughta know my place. Do your humble duty with a smile onyourface." Athanasia sang sadly as her lips quiver, "Father knows howmuch I love him. But he's alwaysdoing other things. So I'll keep waiting in the wings."

"I crave so much. And yet I kept on waiting. One glance, one touch. And I just kept on waiting. And when it came, it came with strings. So I kept waiting in the wings." Athanasia hugged herself as she tried to make peace with herself before her upcoming death.

Yes, she was angry at Claude and the other nobles for accusing her of things she will never do. Yes, she was indeed envious of the affection Jeannette received from her father. But, she only wishes for both their good health and happiness. But she still can't get rid of this pain and anger inside her.

"At least I will be able to see my mother. Finally." Athanasia told herself, not able to hold back her tears anymore.