Unique Beauty. Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

"You know what today is, don't you?" She said.

It was strange that she was asking me, I was the one who could never keep track of days, even time. I would always think that Thursday was Tuesday and Wednesday was Friday. But today, surprisingly, I did know. The first of December.

"First day of summer?" I whispered back with an excited smile on my face. Summer, just the word alone got the adrenaline running through my limbs. Finally, after a year of rain, even rain in spring, we would see some real sunshine. No more gloomy moods and hot chocolates. No more staring at clouds. Summer meant beaches, picnics, sleeping in, pools, hot chips, hot sun, hot boys. It meant hello bikini, goodbye sweatpants.

Gemma beamed down at me, nodding. "What else? Think, stupid."

"Stupid?" I mumbled, still trying to think. Who was she calling stupid?

"No, no answer? Do we have an answer?"

"I'm thinking, stupid. Shut up." I spat.

First of December did ring a bell, like somewhere deep inside my brain was telling me that something important was going on today, that something was happening. December, summer, holidays, beach, Christmas.

Christmas.

Christmas Dance.

"How could I forget?" I hissed, hanging my head in shame. Gemma chuckled under her breath.

Christmas Dance. Christmas Dance.The one night of the year that always managed to bring a smile to my face. Christmas Dance at school was like Prom, or Homecoming. It was the highlight of everyone's school experience. And why wouldn't it be? It was the hottest social event of the year. Everyone was there, in pretty dresses and sharp suits. Music and dancing, food, smiles, and the Christmas Queen. Th Christmas Queen. Only the prettiest girls were crowned Christmas Queen. Girls with raw beauty, with infinate smiles and the goddess in their eyes. Girls who could spend each day in Heaven, social Heaven. Beautiful, perfect girls.

"The Christmas Queen is open for business," Gemma grinned. "And you know what that means?"

My heart stammered then, like someone had given it an electric shock. I closed my eyes and sighed. Of course I knew what that meant, every year Gemma said it. Every December First, like she was on repeat.

"That we're all doomed to weeks of cat fights?" I muttered.

She sneered. "Yes, and no. It means that you are finally going to do it."

Finally. Now that was a word she hadn't used before. Did that mean I no longer had a choice? That it was out of my hands now? 

"Gemma," I stared straight into her eyes, making sure she saw the pure truth in them. "I can't."

"No such word as can't."

"But there is," I smiled and looked away. "Page 309 of the dictionary."

"Nerd," she growled, glaring at me.

I stayed silent and watched the screen again. It was the horrible part, when the Indians were being invaded. How could we possibly know what they were feeling? Their homes, their land, even their children, being taken away from them? How can I be sitting here, feeling sorry for myself, when there are people out there that that is happening to?

"You can," Gemma said eventually, making me tear my eyes away from the screen. "I know you can, you can do anything if you put your mind to it."

"Thank-you, Guru, but I think I can handle things from here." I replied.

"Why not? Just tell me why not."