Unique Beauty. Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

Her head shook. "No way. But I'll make some for myself."

"You won't have time," Mum said, planting a kiss on her cheek and nodding towards the clock. "You're already late."

"Late!" She squealed. "How can I be late?!"

"Maybe if you left at five, you wouldn't have been," I said.

She ignored me, yanking a piece of toast from the two that had just popped up and shoved it in her mouth. Faster than I could imagine, her bag was on her shoulder, her shoes were on, and she was at the door.

"Love you's!" She called behind her, the sound muffled by the toast in her mouth. The door slammed behind her. The house was filled with our farewells as she lolloped down the driveway. I watched her from the window, squinting past the sun, as she sped up and around the corner.

"You'll be late too," Mum nodded towards the clock a second time, and now I finally looked at it. My expression mirrored Amelia's.

"Eggs?" I asked again, bouncing off my chair and heading straight for my bedroom.

"Alright, but don't expect it every morning! It's Fruit Loops for rest of the year!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secret- The Pierces

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are you doing on Thursday?

The letters were bold, brilliant, like the only thing interesting in the room. And it was. Children's heads were drooping towards the table tops, their eyes closed and their ears in no mood for listening. The voice running over the documentary was dull, much like the atmosphere. The only person who looked genuinely interested was the teacher, watching with enthusiasm in his eyes.

My gaze went back to the note. It was Cassie's handwriting for sure, I could tell by the way she did her a's. Elegance and pure perfection. She was staring forward, at the screen, like she didn't even notice anything around her. With an inconspicuous look to my right, where the teacher was, I scribbled on the note with my red pen, my handwriting no comparison to Cassie's.

Nothing. Why?

I shoved it in her direction, and following her lead, looked straight ahead at the documentary. Flashes of colour filled my vision. Greens and reds and blues, all natural and wonderful. But boring, always boring. Who knew cowboys and Indians could be so boring?

"Buffalo were the main source of food for the Indians," The man was saying in monotone. "They used everything, even the tail, the nose. They used the ribs as sledges for the children and the bladder as bags for carrying water back to-"

There was a rustle and a cough. A sharp cough. The paper touched my elbow.

Wanna come late night with me? It read

I stiffened. Late night. Just the thought of shopping made me flinch. Shopping, like yesterday.

I felt something drop inside me, my stomach, my self confidence. I felt myself slip away, lower and lower into my seat.

Hell no, I wrote angrily.

She didn't write back, or ask any questions, so I guessed that Gemma must have told her about yesterdays, incident, already. I didn't even have time to mull over it, because Gemma, on the other side of me, whispered into my ear.