Chapter 2

"Class," the teacher began, "today we have a new student joining our class." The older woman motioned to the olive-haired girl standing beside her. Asuka scanned the classroom and found countless pairs of eyes staring at her. Except for one.

    The blonde male rested his chin in his palm and stared out the window to avoid making eye contact. On the other hand, his best friend and freckled sweetheart shot her a bright, welcoming smile. She returned the favor and gave a small salute. The teacher cleared her throat, waiting for the girl to introduce herself.

    "My name is Yata Asuka. It's nice to meet you," she said quickly. Some of the girls in the class scowled at the confidence in her tone and how casually she stood. They also didn't like how she didn't bow in respect. Asuka locked eyes with a girl sitting in the middle of the class near Yamaguchi. She smiled and waved to the girl standing at the front of the class. Asuka genuinely smiled back as she found that she had successfully been put in the same class with people she knew.

    "Yata? That's funny. We already have Yata Tomiko in this class."

    "A-Ah, you can just call me Asuka, then."

    "Alright, alright. Go take your seat in the back." Asuka did as told and made her way to the back corner of the room near the wall. While she would've preferred a seat near the window, she was still happy to be sitting at the back.

    The bell signaled for lunch and prompted every student to jump out of their seats. Asuka leisurely put her stuff into her bag without a care in the world. Meanwhile, Tomiko bounded over and crushed the new girl in a hug.

    "Tomiko...! At least let me stand up first!"

    "I can't help it! I'm so glad you're here!" Asuka chuckled and hugged her friend back. "I can't believe your mom actually agreed to this!"

    "She refused to sign the papers, though. I should be thanking you and your parents if anything!"

    "Oh stop it!" The blonde girl pulled away with flushed cheeks. "You're family to us! Of course we'd do something like this!"

    "It's so hard remembering to use your last name since it's what we used on my paperwork. I guess you could say we're sisters now," she added with a wink. The two girls giggled together.

    "Asuka!"

    "Yamaguchi!" Asuka held out her fist as a greeting. The freckled boy quickly took the offer and then looked to the other girl.

    "I don't think we've formally met," he said to the blonde. "I'm Yamaguchi Tadashi!"

    "Yata Tomiko! It's nice to finally meet you, Yama-chan!" The boy flushed at her adorable nickname and scratched the back of his head.

    "So, how do you know each other?"

    "We're neighbors. We've been best friends since we were kids."

    "So weird that you happen to have the same last name, too!" The two girls blushed, quickly trying to cover up their nerves.

    "Ha, yeah. W-Weird," Asuka stammered.

    "My turn," Tomiko stated. "How do you two know each other?"
    "I became a new manager for their volleyball club the other day." A blonde eyebrow rose over her magenta iris in question. Asuka simply nodded. A sigh followed out of Tomiko's lips.

    "Well, you can help them—!" Tomiko halted her words as she processed the moment. "Their? Plural?" Without answering, Asuka ran away from the two and over toward the lanky blonde who merely stared out the window. She jumped up and sat on his desk to get his attention.