"It's mine."

As quiet as it was, Damian heard correctly and it confused him greatly. The suit was practically in pieces, and where it wasn't stained in blood, it was covered in dirt and ash. Whatever the wearer of this suit had gone through, it couldn't have been something to easily recover from, let alone survive. Damian diverted his gaze to the other suits lined up in their display cases, they were so pristine, almost as though they had never been touched.

"What happened?" Damian asked cautiously, he wasn't sure if Jason was going to tell him, but if he was alive, it couldn't have been that bad.

Jason chuckled lightly, removing his hand from the glass and turning to look at Damian again. He would spare him the details, but if the kid really wanted to know...

"Well, to put a long story short, kid. I died."

***

Alfred was busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast for the family, it was around eight o'clock in the morning and everyone had yet to awaken. Dick was always the first one up, always the first down to greet Alfred in the mornings, and always the first to leave without any explanation to where he was going. Alfred didn't ever question his behavior though, it was none of his business and besides, Dick always came back perfectly fine and in time for lunch.

But today was different. It appeared that the first member of the household awake was the newest, Damian. Alfred had just finished cracking some eggs over the frying pan when Damian entered the kitchen, plopping himself on the nearest stool and letting his head fall onto the counter.

"Up this early, Master Damian?" Alfred spoke to him without turning away from his cooking. Not once in his life had the butler burnt a single piece of food, and today was no exception.

"Why do you call us that? Master? You call everyone it."

"It wouldn't be proper of me to address you as anything else," Alfred replied, scooping the fried eggs out of the pan onto a plate, leaving no trace of egg in the pan. Pleased with his work, Alfred turned around and placed the plate of eggs and toast in front of Damian, who perked up immediately. "It is only respectful that I address you as such."

Dick walked in not a moment later, rubbing the sleep away from his eyes. He wasn't dressed today, not like he usually was. He greeted Alfred with a smile, who turned away and began to cook some more food, and sat down next to Damian. He stretched his arms out and in his absent-mindedness, ruffled Damian's hair. Damian flinched slightly at the touch, not expecting the sudden contact from Dick.

Dick moved his hand away quickly at the response from Damian. He hadn't even realized what he was doing until Damian moved away, and he couldn't help but feel slightly concerned for the kid. The gesture was kind, affectionate almost, but why had Damian flinched at the contact? Dick concluded that perhaps Damian's childhood had been a rough one, that he was on the streets for a reason. Dick wanted so desperately to know the truth, and to make sure that Damian understands that he's not alone anymore.

Alfred set the plate of food down in front of Dick, and returned to his workstation to clean up as he knew Tim wouldn't be down any time soon, and he wanted Bruce to rest for a little longer.

"Where is Master Jason?"

Dick was about to answer but was cut off swiftly by the child sat next to him.