3• the palace

They had rented a carriage to take them to the palace. It was situated on a hill where when standing from any balcony, you could see over the whole kingdom. The town the Motsepe's lived in was the furthest of the 10 making up the kingdom - Kindred Fall. It was also the smallest which only made the townsfolk closer.

It was early in the morning that they made their way to the Royal Palace. Stella was jumping with nerves and couldn't help but stress about whether anyone was going to like her. From what she had gathered, she was the only one in her town chosen for this initiative. What she was most worried about is whether she would fit in, inside the palace. It was no secret that inhabitants of Kindred Falls weren't the most wealthy, added to the fact that all other towns had at least double the amount of money theirs had... Stella was bound to feel out of place with the rich.

She spent the whole 4 hour trip looking out the window and picking at her mind about the way she should act and how she should speak and -- you get the idea. It wasn't long until the carriage had come to a complete stop and the Motsepes all looked at each other. Her parents stared with proud smiles and her sister looked at her with a distaste with subtle undertones of "I'm gonna miss you".

Their moment was interrupted by the door opening, their driver escorting each of them out. No one was ready for the majesty in front of their eyes. All in a line, the humble family stood in front of the Royal Palace - a building made of high walls and marble pillars which seemingly glittered in the sunlight. Their jaws were on the ground.

"I can't do this." Stella suddenly let out, but before she tried to crawl back into the carriage, her mother pulled her by the waist and held her closely.

"Yes, you can." Mrs Motsepe said it firmly, although she seemed a bit awed. They started walking up the polished stairs, scared they would dirty them with each step they took, until they reached the high mahogany doors. With both open, the foyer of the palace was on display, with its diamond chandelier and floors so clean, one could look at their reflection.

"It is amazing, isn't it?"

The voice came out of nowhere. Beside them, a tall, slim woman stood, dressed in a beige silk dress, looking as professional as ever and immediately, everyone knew she meant business.

"Greetings to you, I'm the palace supervisor. I will be taking care of every single need of yours in your time here and making sure you feel right at home. My name is Xia, I'm guessing you are the Motsepes, seeing as you are the last family to arrive today." She trailed off at the end, bringing embarrassment to the whole family. Her eyes scanned every one of them before stopping at the reason they were all there, "Stella, correct?"

"Yes, madam." The 19 year old nodded.

Xia sent a cheeky glance to her, complimenting her manners, "We are pleased to have you here. Now, we request that we all head towards the miniature hall for refreshments and to acquaint yourselves with the other family."

Without another glance, she led the way. The Motsepes followed without haste, trying to keep up with her long legs. They walked through a threshold which held a room filled with about 50 other people of different ages, conversing with each other. "This is miniature?"

Stella was overwhelmed, and picked up a glass of what she assumed to be wine from the servant standing by the entrance. Melanie immediately dashed off to the snacks table while their parents went off to meet some of the other families. Stella was left alone. She found company in the window by the corner, staring out into the clear skies and losing herself in her mind.

It wasn't long until she was joined by a warm and comforting voice. Looking to her side, she met kind eyes. A boy, who looked around the same age as her, gestured to stand by her. He was dressed particular handsomely, his attire tailored to his size and frame. With pink lips, cream skin and a button nose, this boy looked like a dream. "Penny for your thoughts?" He raised an eyebrow.

Stella sheepishly looked down and tucked air behind her ears, "It's hardly interesting, I assure you."

"How do you know that?"

"Because it's about the sky." She laughed at how boring her daydreaming was.

For a moment, it was silent, with Stella avoiding his eyes and the young man staring straight at her. "Enlighten me."

She widened her eyes, at a loss for words with how he had struck a conversation with her. "I- it's nothing much, really. I don't want to bore you."

"Trust me, I can tell you're far from boring." He looked at her with a glint in his eye, slightly smiling like he's known her his whole life. "Well, since you won't tell me what you think of the sky, I'll have to tell you."

Before she could object, he started, "The sky today is quite beautiful in my opinion. It's clear and blue, no cloud in sight. Most people would find it ideal. However," he paused to lock eyes with her, "I always prefer the darker days. They seem to hold a certain kind of beauty that's rare and only a few can appreciate. Would you not say the same?"

His gaze was intense, so intense that Stella could feel every sentance that escaped his lips. At a loss for words, she only stared back with her mouth open and heart beating slightly faster.

"Hm, cat got your tongue? Well if you can't answer that question, then do me the favour of answering the next one. What is your name, miss?"

"Stella." She let out, exasperatedly. "And yours?"

As he opened his mouth, everyone's attention was called to the front of the hall, where Xia started her formal welcome and explained how the rest of the day would go. Once the Royal family had finished addressing their guests, everyone's family would leave until it was just the participants of the initiative left, and from then on, they'd start a tour of the palace and be escorted to their rooms. Xia called up the members of the Royal Family individually, starting with King and Queen, "His and Her Highness, King Hyunjin and Queen Areum of the Kingdom of Autria."

The pair walked up to the stage with unparalleled grace, their partnership expressed through their stride and how they carried themselves. The King was dressed in the finest of silk, matching with the Queen, whose emerald green valley gown screamed high status. The crowns on their heads were nothing less of elegant, each bejeweled with shining gems that represented their personalities.

"The eldest Prince, Changkyun, and his twin sister, Princess Mia."
The twins were equally as poised, walking arm in arm and standing on either side of their parents.

"Huh, Prince Yeonjun isn't the eldest?" Stella wondered out loud.

"Hm, is that unfortunate for you?"

"Oh no." She chuckled, "I just thought that to be in charge of such a project, he'd have to be of a certain age. He is the crown prince after all, why is Prince Changkyun not if he's the eldest?"

The nameless boy looked back to the stage as Xia continued.

"The youngest Prince, Minhyuk."

He looked to be about 8 years old, which would explain the restless way he went to stand in front of his parents.

"Rumour has it, Changkyun rejected the Crown," he whispered to her, mischievously and giving a toothy grin. Something about this boy was off although Stella just couldn't put her finger on it...

"And finally, the reason you're all here,"

Stella perked up, looking at the crowd, and trying to guess who would walk up next, "Let's finally meet the culprit responsible for the surge in my willingness to go into a sleep-induced coma."

She joked to him before Xia announced "Prince Yeonjun" but the smile fell right off her face when the young man winked at her and started striding confidently to the stage. What in heaven's name...

"Welcome, everyone."