One

The sound of the forest is one of the few things that seem to comfort me anymore. The birds chirping and the wind blowing the leaves against each other. When I was out here it was almost easy to forget exactly who I was. It reminded me of a simpler time, and when I was a simpler person. It was easier to be a simpler person when you are a child.

This is where I learned to hunt and fight. This was where I learned to survive. This is where I made dreams and was told that I could do whatever I wanted in life. This place was the only home I really have left.

I was brought from my thoughts by the sound of feet against the forest floor and I quickly brought my knocked bow up and aimed it at my target. A deer was just a few feet away, unaware of my presence at the moment.

In one swift motion, I released my arrow. It found purchase in the heart of my target. Walking over to it I examined my kill. It was a buck, probably a few years old. It had a nice rack of antlers and plenty of meat on its bones. It should last me at least a week.

Pulling my arrow from its hide I put it back in to the quiver at my side. Strapping my bow tightly onto my back I heaved the carcass over my shoulder. With my prize, I walked back to the cabin that I have been going back to my entire life. I wouldn't call it home. No my father and I never stayed here for long enough to call it home. It was just a place we could come and relax for short periods of time.

I had made it my place of residence for the last few years. Not because I had nowhere else to go; simply because there was nowhere else I wanted to be. Out here I could be alone, and for the longest time, that is exactly what I needed to be.

I soon approached the cabin. It was a beaten-down old thing. The roof was falling apart; so much so that I have had to climb up there and patch it many times, but it doesn't stay fixed for long. The front porch has large gaping holes littering its surface threatening to pull you through with one wrong step. The railing was broken and bent in a few spots completely defeating its true purpose. Honestly, these places look the exact opposite of inviting. Which is exactly why I have stayed here for so long. No one will come bother me here.

As I came up onto the porch I notice a collection of envelopes sitting in front of the door. Of course, the messenger brings my letters up and just leaves them sitting here; how considerate of him. Leaning down I scoop off the letters and enter the front door.

I was greeted by the sound of cheerful barking and the sight of my Mabari Ollie jumping in delight. A smile crept to the edges of my as I continued into the cabin.

I stepped into a large room that was cluttered with random things all around. A couple of chairs sat before a fireplace set into the far right wall. It held a small pile of embers from the fire I had previously put out before leaving. A row of pegs lined the wall directly left to the front door; a small table was placed directly below them.

On the opposite side of the room was somewhat of a kitchen area. It had a few cabinets and counters to store things on/in. A kitchen table where when we used to come here as a child my father and I would eat meals together. Now I couldn't even bring myself to sit at it. It brought back many memories.

Directly to the right of the kitchen area and right next to the fireplace was a doorway that leads to the small bedroom. An old rug covered the floor and the wooden walls were barren with nothing on them.

"Hey boy, did you miss me?" My voice was gruff as I spoke to Ollie. He barked and wagged his tail; Jumping up and down with glee. Laughing slightly I carefully placed the carcass of the deer onto the floor "Don't touch it," I warned.

A defensive bark was the response as he walked away from me and laid down in front of the cold fireplace looking away from me dramatically.

"Drama Queen" I muttered. Dropping the letters on the table I took my bow, quiver, and heavy wool jacket and hung them on each of their individual pegs. Then I slid off my wet boots and dropped them on the other side of the door. Left in a long-sleeved shirt that was three sizes too big and swallowed up my slightly overweight but fit frame, long pants that were rolled up to my ankles, and a pair of socks that went up to my calves I walked over to the fireplace and threw a long onto the embers. Slowly I coaxed the fire to start up again and soon it was a full roar.