"You can think that it's just a friendship, but I know my shit. Just go there around noon because they won't have school. Noon is normally the time where all the boys hang out at the park behind the bakery, so maybe you'll get lucky?" You can tell there is a huge smile plastered on her face by the way she talks.

"Ha ha, you're so funny. I gotta go, my mom is here to pick me up. Talk to you later, jerk."

Before I press end call, you hear one last word from her. "Bitch."

Your mother's car pulls up to the curb, and you hop in the passenger side quickly. "Thanks mom." You smile, looking at her. She smiles at you, her eyes a bit distant as she begins to drive away from the curb.

"You know, I'm sorry that I have to, but I was called into work tonight. I'm only going for the extra pay, so I won't be able to sit around and eat dinner with you before I leave. I'll only be gone until eight, but (female friend's mom) is going to pick me up straight from work." Her voice is low and filled with emotions, but all you can do is nod your head and smile.

"No, Mom, it's okay. I have to do some stuff for my biology class, anyway." You smile, referring to your online schooling. Because the two of you are living the way that you are, you cannot afford a lot of schools around here, so the website you're enrolled with provides you with all the resources you need to pass the standard high school classes. You remove your work hat and hold it close to you, looking down at your outfit; a pair of jeans, a worn out pair of (f/c) tennis shoes, and a black long sleeve shirt underneath your yellow and orange apron.

The two of you pull into the parking lot, and your mother smiles as she parks the car. "Well, in that case, I'll see you next Monday. I love you, Dear! And good luck on your anatomy test this week." She shouts, a dopey smile on her face. You can only give one back before slamming the car door shut. You try not to get wet as you hurry towards the building. The keys in your back pocket jingling as you swing the door open.

Upon entering, you wave hello to the desk girl, Lydia. The two of you never really spoke, but she was a pretty young woman you saw almost every day. Your apartment was on the third floor, so you always found yourself walking immediately to the elevator. Though, once inside, you see yourself in the reflective wall, standing there with no expression at all. The day begins to replay in your mind as a familiar lump forms in the back of your throat.

This time, I'll be strong, you think to yourself. There is absolutely no reason for you to feel like crying, so why do you? The thought causes you to take another look at yourself in the mirror. Tears slowly well in your eyes, the stinging sensation making you want to blink. The door dings, causing you to quickly sniffle and walk down your hallway. You try the knob, not terribly surprised to find that the door is already unlocked. Oftentimes, when your mother was in a hurry, she would forget to lock it. Once you entered the two bedroom apartment, your back rested against the door.

You and your mother's living situation hasn't been exactly great since moving to Japan. Your past hasn't been peachy either, but you still somehow manage to hold yourself together. Even now, as you kick off your shoes and look down at your mismatched socks, you know that it's just how things have to be. As hard as it gets, you have to continue to roll with the punches. Life is the suckiest thing sometimes, but all you can really do is learn to grow up and move on with it.

Ensuring now that the door was locked, you tugged on the handle just in case. Afterwards, you sat down on the couch and began to mindlessly scroll through your phone. Through different apps, through texts from your friends, you chose to lay down. It wasn't rare to find yourself napping on the couch. You've done it many times before, and today seemed not to be any different. You slowly leaned to the side, body slumping against the arm of the couch. Phone in hand, your body finally had the chance to relax; and it took the opportunity.

You wake with a start, eyes wide and looking around quickly. You hear nothing for a few moments before the sound of your alarm fills the room. A sigh passes through you as you shut it off. It had been your 5;30 work alarm from yesterday that was never turned off. "Shit," you grumble while beginning to sit up. Your eyes look around the room. Almost immediately, you take note of the fact you had fallen asleep with your work clothes still on. A chuckle shakes your shoulders. Wow, I was exhausted, you think with a smile as you stand.

Slinking off to your room, your body feels as though it doesn't want to be moved. Though, as you begin to undress, you feel yourself slowly starting to wake up. A part of you wanted to stay in this morning. Normally, there wouldn't be any reason to leave. However, waking up at 5:30 was unlikely to happen on any other Saturday. So, taking initiative of the early hours of the day, you slid on comfortable walking clothes and made your way towards the door. You knew of a coffee shop where you could get a drink to start off the morning.

"Alright," you said to yourself, while sliding on your shoes with a small smile. As you opened the door, you turned to face the apartment one last time before making an exit.