Chapter 9 : Heal and Care

The nursing house had been quiet lately. Adelheid was humming some song while she prepared balms to help wounds healing. Hilda was cleaning up the front room. It had been that way for the last two months, since the men had leave. Two months during which they had had no news of them. Two months without seeing Tharn.

Also, two months since she was no more his official concubine. They had only shared the night before his departure, and she wondered what it would be like when he'll be back.

Because she sincerely wished for him to come back. She missed him but didn't express it to Hilda, who sometimes mentioned him to see how the young woman would react.

For the last two months, she had been living with Hilda and her husband, who was one of the men guarding the Clan.

After his last night in the Clan, she had woken up alone, his warmth and scent still impregnating the sheets of the bed. Adelheid had immediately gone out to see if she still had a chance to say goodbye and to tell him she wanted him to come back safe, but it was too late, the ship already long gone in the ocean.

The last two months had been quiet for her. She used them to develop her skills as a nurse, and Hilda taught her many things.

"Here is some lavender to grind. The men will surely be back with some lices and we need to rub the sheets with some to prevent those from spreading." She told Adelheid with a grunt, mumbling about how her husband always brought some home after his expedition.

As she started mashing the lavender in the bowl, Adelheid was reminded of the visit Tharn had paid her here, soon after the welcome feast events had occurred. She remembered how afraid of him she was. How she had tended to his wounds without hesitation even if deep down she was scared. How she had wanted to escape at this time. She also remembered ho he had taken care of her after Birgir's assault. How he had been gentle with her, a side of him she had no idea existed.

She realized that right now, she would love to see him barge in. She would probably go to him without hesitation. Their last night together had proven so to herself.

It had revealed something else to her.

A few days after, she had wondered if it was truly what she thought, but after two months of hoping he'd be back, she was now sure. She was in love with him.

She wanted him back, not only to see him again, but because this time, she would accept to be his without hesitation. Her heart squeezed painfully as she thought that the feeling might not be shared. He had obviously displayed his attraction to her, but he had never confessed anything close to caring for her more than for her body. His reaction towards Birgir had obviously shown that he didn't want another one to approach her, but that might have been mere possessiveness. And she was sure this didn't necessarily mean he loved her.

She wasn't too sure she wanted to tell him about her feelings when he'd be back. She was wondering if she should keep them to herself, so that she wouldn't feel too vulnerable.

This is what had occupied her mind everyday for the whole two months. She couldn't stop thinking about him.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Hilda barged in the backroom, a huge smile on her lips.

"Adelheid, they are back! Let's take the baskets full of healing supplies and go help the ones in need."

The young woman had no time to think about what she'd tell him anymore, she gathered the baskets and they lifted some chests on a barrow before hurrying towards the small harbor.

Many thoughts went through her head. Maybe he would bring back some other women from his trip, just as he had done with her. Maybe he would make her his concubine or marry her. Her heart ached at the thought, but she tried to remind herself that his words on their last night promised many more to come, which appeased her.