Chapter 17

Harry twined his fingers around Draco's. The Great Hall was loud and crowded as students ate their breakfast. No one paid the boys any attention. He liked it that way. When he was with Cedric, everyone was watching them, always. Now no one cared. It was refreshing.

They sat at the Gryffindor table. No one else was there and they got a few minutes of silence together before their friends began to arrive. Draco's friend, Pansy Parkinson, looked across the Great Hall at them with a gleam in her narrowed eyes. Draco smiled apologetically at her and shrugged, raising him and Harry's clasped hands as he did. She shook her head and smiled.

Ginny was the first to arrive out of their friends. Harry avoided her eyes. What Draco had done was cruel and them getting together only days after she and Draco had broken up was just salt in the wound. She skirted around them and sat by herself at the other end of the table. A Ravenclaw with bright blonde hair and a dreamy expression sat down next to her. Luna Lovegood, Harry thought her name was.

Ron and Hermoine appeared soon after, bickering as always. Ron caught sight of them sitting much closer than they had when they were just friends and a smile grew on his face. He walked over quickly.

"Are you two finally dating?" He cried.

Hermione looked confused. "Finally? What are you talking about? Draco's gay?"

Harry and Draco smiled at her baffled expression.

"Maybe I am a bit gay," Draco blushed. "But only for Harry."

I gaped at him and shoved his shoulder. "Sap," I exclaimed.

Ron sat next to us and reached for the food. "Wait, what about you and Ginny?" He said suddenly and Draco winced.

"Yeah, I'd rather not talk about it," Draco muttered. "Not my proudest moment to be honest."

Ron frowned at him. "Draco, what did you do?"

"I swear I didn't mean to," Draco said quickly. "But Harry and I kissed while I was still dating her and, well she didn't take it well when I broke up with her the next day."

Ron glared at him. "I told you not to hurt her."

"I know, and I'm really sorry about it. I messed up."

Ron looked over at his sister who was smiling and laughing with the Ravenclaw at the other end of the table.

"She looks okay," Harry offered.

Ron nodded slowly. "I suppose," he turned back to Draco. "I'm not mad."

Draco smiled in relief. "Thanks, mate."

"Anytime," Ron patted his shoulder and dug into his food.

Hermione looked between Draco and me. She shrugged and sat down. "You two are cute. Don't be gross though."

Harry laughed, "We'll try."

The conversation after that was light and based around homework and classes. Harry looked around his assembled friends and at his boyfriend, smiling and laughing in a carefree way that Harry hadn't seen since they were eleven. A smile grew on his lips.

Draco looked over at Harry and felt his heart soar. The beautiful, broken boy was grinning around him. The lines that grief and depression had cut into his face softened and disappeared and his eyes were bright and shining. He'd spent so long loving him from afar that he hardly knew what to expect from this relationship.

He knew it would be good because loving Harry Potter from afar was nothing but pain. But loving him from his side, with their hands clasped and happiness in their eyes, loving from right beside him was joy.