He wondered if the body— because with the thick scent, the person must have lost a lot of blood and was most probably dead— was someone he knew.

Maybe, after all, he knew a lot of people.

Ghouls a Humans alike.

He snapped his emerald green eyes open, feeling attention on him, and flickered his gaze to a back alley. His eyes minutely narrowed as he registered the two figures that hurriedly hid in the shadow of the street.

He imperceptibly strained his neck, trying to hear and perhaps catch a whiff of the people, before his eyes slid to look back at the agent, who came back.

The man seemed unnerved by his spatial awareness, flinching when he received the purple head's sharp and deciphering gaze. He gulped, bit his lower lip, and his grip on the business card got tighter until he handed it back.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, Sir," he apologized with a bow. He led the way closer to the scene, watching from the corner of his eyes as the external advisor picked a suitcase up— was it a Quique, he wondered.

The security perimeter put up by the CCG was bordered with some type of yellow tape. There was no need for forensic, and only field agents remained on the scene.

Shintaro's nose twitched as he caught a whiff of two other familiar scents. He hadn't noticed them with the strong stench of blood that drenched the air, but now that he got closer he could easily recognize the two officers' specific scent.

Investigator Mado, and— his eyes silently narrowed as he took in a deep breath, and closed his eyes to test his olfactory skills. And, investigator Amon, he deduced.

His lashes trembled, he opened his eyes to meet the quizzical and guarded gaze of the said male. "Tsukiyama," he acknowledged with a curt nod.

Shintaro hummed, his eyes carelessly swept over the tall agent, quickly dismissing him. He brushed past him, his sleek shoes cleanly hit the concrete, as he bent down to take a closer look at the corpse.

"Aah, Tsukiyama-kun, I didn't know that you would come."

Shintaro didn't bother to look at the older male, he stared at the somewhat familiar profile before lightly pushing the detached limb. He ignored the blood that got on his shoe and crouched down to have a better look at the face.

"'Seen anything familiar?" Mado continued undeterred by the younger's aloofness. "Actually, we missed one," he lamented before cackling.

Shintaro's hand brushed against the chestnut-colored hair, ignoring the spatter of crimson that beaded them. His mind went through the many files the CCG lent him as he tried to remember which suspect was in front of him.

He couldn't possibly address her by her name, now, could he?

"This should be Suspect 73," he whispered before standing up and wiping his hand off the blood with a silk handkerchief that he took from his breast pocket. He folded the bloodied piece and nestled it back in his inner pocket. "She should be number 696's wife?" he muttered.

Mado hummed, neither agreeing nor disagreeing as he observed the way the male put the pieces together. There was a nagging feeling whenever he met the male. Something in Mado told him he was a ghoul, yet no matter how many tests and trials he passed, he always came out as perfectly human.

He couldn't wait for the day the male would slip.

"The one who got away is the daughter—"

"Oh? You know it's a girl, Tsukiyama?

Shintaro's eyes slid to look at Mado. His lips tugged into a sarcastic smirk and his eyes mockingly narrowed as he looked up at the male. This man, this man was such an eyesore. Shintaro both wanted to have him killed and eat him. Not that his fantasies would ever happen, Shintaro didn't like hunting much, and targets like Mado, apart for personal vendetta weren't sought after. The flesh of an elderly wasn't all that appetizing— at least not to most of the Ghoul Shintaro knew. 

"Of course, you wrote it in the rapport."

—And he caught a whiff of her while waiting earlier, not that he could tell them. Though, that begged to question who the Ghoul with her was. From the scent, it was a male. Yet Shintaro couldn't help but detect some lingering similarity to Rize's fragrance. He pondered over the idea for a second before brushing it off.

"Now, that I did!" Mado agreed with a grin. "So, anything else?"

"On the girl?"

"Mmm."

Tsukiyama's eyes narrowed behind his black-rimmed spectacles. He mulled over his words before looking up at the special investigator.

"This Ghoul was a social one, both because of her husband, and daughter. From what you told me, the girl fled but she shouldn't be able to survive on her own," he paused, pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

The fact that the death of the woman made the Ghoul an orphan didn't sit well with him.

"She should seek refugee, and—" his lashes cast a shadow over his green eyes. "we most probably should expect some kind of retaliation from the Ghouls."

"Ohoho? Really?" the inspector gleefully asked. Retaliation? Didn't it mean Ghould coming to him on a silver platter? Ready to die by his hand?

"Mhm. Orphans, whether Human or Ghoul, it is easy to take pity on them and get revenge for them. The people responsible for Suspect 73's apprehension should stay on guard for the next few weeks at least."

This is a Pilot, I dunno if some more chapters will ever see the day ¯\_ಠ_ಠ_/¯

Either way, what did you think?

Thanks for reading, until another time ^^