Patronuses And Presumptions

Start from the beginning

"How about a round of Wizard's Chess?" proposed Ron who was munching on a candy from Honeydukes.

"What, you want Hermione to scold us for wasting our free periods with games?" he grinned.

"Game? Excuse you, chess is a mind's sport that serves only to educate."

"That and killing time."

"Yeah, well, that's not what we're going to tell 'Mione now, is it?" asked Ron with a grin, pulling a laugh out of his friend.

×××

A game of chess and a very deep talk about how the obvious carrier option for Harry was to become a potter later, Harry and Ron found themselves with another half hour free before double potions, and the brunet still could not get Draco out of his head.

"Uh, I think I'll go look for Draco", he announced as he stood up. "Haven't seen him at lunch."

Ron just lifted an eyebrow and regarded his friend with a sarcastic look.

"Fussing over the git even though you have no reason to, how very unusual indeed."

"Shut up, Ron", Harry embarrassedly muttered as he threw a badly aimed pillow at his friend's head.

"No, seriously, Harry. I really hope you're not as oblivious as to not realise you two are not just friends. A blind man could see it."

Harry shifted on the spot, extremely uncomfortable and anxiety prickling at his heart. He couldn't fight the urge to apologise.

"Why are you apologising? I just want to make sure you see things as they are", Ron spoke gently and calmly, much unlike his usual self, making Harry think he and Hermione have spoken and debated this subject beforehand.

"I just, I don't want you to look at me differently."

"Mate, honestly, how could you believe I could? Not to mention, Malfoy may still be a git, but he's changed. He's better and he's trying to be so every day. Also he might be the only person alive that manages to keep up with you and all your sass and sarcasm, really."

Harry let out a chuckle at that, his heart suddenly not so heavy as before. Ron accepted him and that was all that mattered.

"Thank you", he whispered, a fond smile on his lips.

"You don't have to."

×××

Harry found Draco in the first place he looked. No one would have been surprised. The train thought was simple. Draco had a free period as well, of course Harry knew, and he skipped lunch, which only meant he was in the library or terribly sick on a Hospital Wing bed.

He was in the library.

"You weren't at lunch", was what Harry decided to go with as he approached the table Draco was sitting at.

"It might just have slipped my notice had you not pointed it out to me", Draco answered sarcastically, not bothering to look up from his book.

"With the amount of time you spend here, I wouldn't be surprised if you thought it was still 9 am."

Draco rolled his eyes but did not retort further, so Harry took this as his cue to look over the blond's shoulder, not missing the sharp intake of breath as he read a few lines. It didn't take him long to recognise the chapter. Patronuses.

"You trying to learn to cast a Patronus, then?" he asked, tactless as ever.

Draco's mood instantly and visibly changed into one of hostility as he regarded Harry with a sharp look.