1

Evan let out a shaky sigh, rubbing both his arms and hugging himself tightly. He took in a deep breath, and knocked on the door. He stood, waiting for Jared or Connor to answer the door. He smiled faintly, thinking over all the times they’d shared.

    A few minutes later, he was snapped out of his memories. Jared was in front of him, holding a Wii remote. He smiled brightly, a smile that always complimented the rest of his characteristics. His hair was disheveled, obviously not tamed in a few days. His eyes were bright, and Evan could see his own reflection in them. He wasn’t wearing his glasses, and it only defined him more.

    Embracing Evan in a tight hug, Jared kissed his cheek, snickering as Evan blushed, and stumbled over his words with a dorky, bashful smile on his face.

    "O-oh, uh-uhm, hi, uh, Jared! I-I love you too,” he smiled shyly, walking into Jared’s house. He saw Connor, sitting on the floor with another Wii remote in hand. His back was up against the couch, a pillow on his lap, and a frustrated look on his face. The light from the tv illuminated his features: strands of hair falling onto his face, cheeks slightly hollowed from how skinny he was, his eyes less baggy than they had been a few months ago.

    Connor cursed, flipping off the screen. “Mario Kart is bull,” he mumbled. It turned into a frustrated shout. “Why do they even have red shells? I’m sorry that I’m better than you, maybe learn how to fuckin’ play!” He stood up, huffing and walking towards Evan, giving him a quick peck on the lips. “Hey, Ev,” he said quietly. Connor shot a glare towards Jared, who was laughing at his suffering.

    Evan stumbled, cowering in Connor’s shadow. He knew Connor wasn’t mad at him, just frustrated at the game. Don’t be scared, it’s okay. He’s not mad at you. Evan breathed in deeply, smiling. “H-hi.. hi Connor.” He breathed out, feeling relieved with the words out and his breath released.

    “Ev, are you okay? You’re shaking and you look...pale. More than normal.” Jared asked, his voice dripping with concern. He got a nod in response, then a confident “yeah.” Jared smiled, a kind but still worried smile that said, “I don’t believe you, but I won’t push it.” He sighed quietly, hugging Connor and Evan tightly.

    Connor huffed out a quiet snicker, and ruffled Jared’s hair. “Jare, you’re too short to initiate a group hug.”

    Jared scowled playfully at him. “I can do what I want. Nothing holds me back, you absolute clown.” He smiled triumphantly, punching Connor’s arm lightly. “And I currently want to initiate a group hug. Move over, beanstalk.”

    Evan giggled, basking in the sheer love and affection radiating from the three, like heat from a flame. He wouldn’t trade them for the world.

    “So, how about another round of Mario Kart, Con?”