Animal

I parked several houses down and killed the engine. I could hear the music and hear shouts already. I checked my reflection in the mirror. I had on high waisted black skinny jeans and a band tee under my jacket. Hardly party attire. Sighing, I pulled the scrunchie out of my previously braided hair and undid my titanium dyed tresses and used the hair tie to pull my shirt into a makeshift belly shirt that showed several inches of my flat stomach and silver belly button piercing. As I shook out my hair, I pulled my jacket off and threw it in the back seat. I used my fingers to smudge my makeup into a semi decent smoky eye. Good enough.

Getting out, I slipped my keys, wallet, and phone into my pockets. 

I let out a breath and willed this evening to come to a speedy end. I'd get high, hopefully get a dime bag, and then I would bounce. Easy peasy.

As I approached the house, I had to repress a groan. This was not just theatre kids. The front yard was littered with people and by the looks of it, so was the rest of the property.

"News spread quick," I muttered bitterly as I made my way past groups of mingling teenagers. The sun was dipping into the west, painting the sky pink and blue. It would be night soon.

I had to squeeze past a group of boys chanting in encouragement to their friend who was downing a bottle of something pink as quickly as he could. My eyes scanned the crowd, trying to find a familiar face and eventually landed on Tallulah who was chatting with a boy who couldn't be over thirteen years old.

What the fuck was a child doing here?

"Devi you made it," her voice was collected and smooth as she winked at me. "Nice outfit, you look hot."

"Thanks, it was a last-minute decision. Where's Leah?" I had to speak up over the loud pop music playing from somewhere in the living room.

"She's around here somewhere waiting for Daniel to show up I think. Stay and mingle. Oh, this is Nick," she was motioning to the kid standing beside her who was very obviously ogling her body.

"Hi."

"H-hey nice to meet you Devi!" His voice was slightly slurred. "I'm Leah's brother Nick."

Makes sense.

"Where's the alcohol?" I could see the resemblance in his and Leah's features now that I was looking at him. He stood a full foot shorter than both Tallulah and I but had the same pleading cornflower blue eyes and baby face. Especially the baby face. I doubted this kid had even hit puberty yet.

"Everything is in the kitchen," Tallulah answered before turning her attention back to Nick who looked ready to fall over at any second.

Stay away from the cotton candy brandy!" Nick warned and pointed a finger at me, eliding his words and allowed himself to be caught by my friend.

I gave him a hesitant look before breaking away. These New York people were weird.

I needed to start drinking if I was going to be here much longer.

You can't even have fun without being high or drunk. How lame can you be?

The alcohol consisted of ten bottles of various wines. I would've groaned if I didn't have better composure of myself. What pussy ass shit was this?!

Sighing, I grabbed one and popped the top, downing half the bottle before heading towards the backyard to continue my search. At this point I didn't care if I found Leah or weed first.

The familiar scent of dope hit my nostrils the moment I opened the sliding doors. There was a small group of people sitting around the firepit getting high. My eyes zeroed in on the blunt they were passing back and forth and my feet carried me on autopilot to the source of the smell.