10. Professor Moody

Y/N's POV

Our first day of lessons wasn't that eventful, what everyone was looking forward to was Defence Against the Dark Arts with the strange Professor Moody.

The only think that was eventful was Hermione's refusal to eat any of the food. She tried to persuade me, but the Hogwarts food was too hard to resist and I knew that the elves liked their job. Finally, she gave in to me and started eating the food.

"Weasley! Hey, Weasley!"

We turned. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were standing there, each looking thoroughly pleased about something.

"What?" said Ron shortly.

"Your dad's in the paper, Weasley!" said Malfoy, brandishing a copy of the Daily Prophet and speaking very loudly, so that everyone in the packed entrance hall could hear.

"Imagine them not even getting his name right, Weasley. It's almost as though he's a complete nonentity, isn't it?"

Everyone in the entrance hall was listening now. Malfoy straightened the paper with a flourish and read on.

"And there's a picture, Weasley!" said Malfoy, flipping the paper over and holding it up. "A picture of your parents outside their house - if you can call it a house! Your mother could do with losing a bit of weight, couldn't she?"

Ron was shaking with fury. Everyone was staring at him.

"Get stuffed, Malfoy," said Harry, "c'mon, Ron..."

"Oh yeah, you were staying with them this summer, weren't you, Potter?" sneered Malfoy. "So tell me, is his mother really that porky, or is it just the picture?"

"You know your mother, Malfoy?" I said, answering for Harry, "that expression she's got, like she's got dung under her nose? Has she always looked like that, or was it just because you were with her?"

Malfoy's pale face went slightly pink.

"Don't you dare insult my mother, L/N."

Malfoy made a movement as if he was going to attack me but decided to restrain himself.

I smirked. "Well then Malfoy, just keep your fat mouth shut then."

I turned around and started to walk away, with Harry, Ron and Hermione following.

BANG!

Several people screamed, I felt something white-hot graze the side of my face, I plunged my hand into my robes for my wand, but before I had even touched it, I heard a second loud BANG, and a roar that echoed through the entrance hall.

"OH NO YOU DON'T, LADDIE!"

I spun around. Professor Moody was limping down the marble staircase. His wand was out and it was pointing right at a pure white ferret, which was shivering on the stone-flagged floor, exactly where Malfoy had been standing.

"Did he get you?" Moody growled.

"No," I said, "missed."

"I don't like people who attack when their opponent's back's turned," growled Moody as the ferret bounced higher and higher, squealing in pain, "stinking, cowardly, scummy thing to do..."

The ferret flew through the air, its legs and tail flailing helplessly.

"Professor Moody!" said a shocked voice.

Professor McGonagall was coming down the marble staircase with her arms full of books.

"Hello, Professor McGonagall," said Moody calmly, bouncing the ferret still higher.