Act 5: The Dragon's Attack

As Kazuki slept, he had a dream. It was just like any other dream, strange and confusing, but it wasn't until after he woke up that he realized something wasn't quite right.

     In his dream, it began with a long path. There wasn't anything but a bright white path in a black space. He followed it, the sensation that he was getting taller covering him. He felt short, and as the path grew darker, he grew taller. The path suddenly became dark, and he couldn't see anything. He thought it was a nightmare. But after walking a bit farther, he realized that was not the case, for the path shone brightly again. He felt very normal as this point, and he could see a door in the middle of the path.
     He recognized it almost immediately by the bright green, gold, and pink wreath hanging from it.

     He entered through the door into a small room- Vex Vega's nursery.

     He looked about, and nothing seemed out of place. It was just...quiet. Very quiet. Deathly quiet. Kazuki couldn't even hear his own heart beating or his breaths, long and heavy.

     Instinct took its hold, and decided to check Vega's crib. Kazuki peeked over the side of the bed, and it seemed untouched-

but the baby was gone.

     Kazuki felt his heart drop when he didn't see him. He looked about the room, but the baby was gone- he was much too small to have crawled away. 

     The freckled boy stepped outside, back to the path, but it had disappeared. It was black again, and upon turning around, the door was gone, too. He walked to where it had been, fear gripping him, and looked around frantically for anything. Kazuki tried to call for Yukio, but no sound came from his mouth. He was trapped. A wail suddenly filled the static air, making Kazuki jump.

     When he turned around, he saw Azazel standing there. The demon was just a dark purple mist now, but there enough to cradle Vega in his arms. He turned and smiled wickedly at the boy.

     No escape.

     Kazuki felt a rush of electricity. He was in his bed now, Yukio sleeping quietly next to him. The manor was quiet, but not nearly as quiet as it had been in his dream. The muffled rain outside reassured him, but he shook Yukio's side anyway.

     "Master," Kazuki whispers. "Wake up."
     Yukio sighs and gets up, looking about.
     "What is it, Cookie?"
     "It's just...I had a dream... will you check on V?"
     Yukio looks surprised at the question, but he smiles and stands up, heading towards Vex Vega's room.

     Everything seems fine, and he can hear the baby snoring softly. Kazuki creeps up behind him, peeking over his shoulder to see.

     "I hear him sleeping. He's fine."
     "Just...will you check better?" Kazuki asks, looking worried still.

     Yukio heads over to the crib and peers inside. The baby sleeps peacefully, his blanket somehow on his head. Yukio tucks him back in and kisses him.

     "Sleeping like a baby."
     Kazuki nods, smiling, and hugs Yukio tightly.
     "I thought something bad happened to him, is all...I didn't mean to worry you..."
     Yukio takes him by the hand and walks back to the room, smiling.
     "It's alright. Go back to sleep, Cookie, okay?" he says, tucking Kazuki. He cuddles up next to him and holds him close.

     "Nothing is going to happen to Vega. I'll make sure of it."
     Kazuki smiles and closes his eyes, hoping that no more dreams would come during the night.