C h a p t e r F i v e

Start from the beginning

Robin peeks up at Luke, bothered by the lost look on his face. Richie, on the other hand is grinning widely at her as she sits down between the two. He lazily throws an arm over the top of her chair and Robin tenses in her spot but Richie doesn’t seem to notice it. Luke on the other hand does and she feels his fingers wrap around hers until the table making that electric current course across her skin.

She should remove her hand. She shouldn’t be squeezing his hand back and she shouldn’t be happy to see a smile grace his face at the gesture. No, she should be keeping her distance but it’s so hard when the one she’s been waiting for is right there, right within reach. Giving his hand one last squeeze she slides it out of his with hesitation before picking up her fork to eat.

“Why are you here?” Charlie scowls at Richie.

Richie shrugs with a smile, “Just stopped by to say hi.”

“Then why are you eating with us?”

“Charlie.” Robin scolds with a narrow eyed warning written on her face. “Be nice.”

Charlie frowns, “You said I should never lie and I don’t like him.”

“Big surprise.” Gabe grumbles into his water glass.

“You shouldn’t lie.” Robin sighs, “But you should also be nice to people. If you can’t say anything nice than don’t say anything at all.”

“Fine.” Charlie huffs before glaring at Richie one more time. “I’m not talking because I don’t like you.”

Robin lowers her head into her hand as Luke chuckles silently beside her. Richie laughs a little too, seemingly unaffected by her bratty kid. Gabe and Faith snort laughs but cut themselves off when Grace gives them a look while Jessup, ever the strong silent type just smiles a little.

Silence descends over the group before Faith decides to break it.

“So I hear you’ve never worked on a car in your life, Luke.” Faith says around a mouthful of garlic bread.

“Faith Katherine James.” Grace scolds “Don’t talk with your mouth full!”

Faith, being the ever-mature one of out of the James siblings sticks her tongue out, food included making Charlie break into laughter and Grace to scowl at her daughter. This isn’t anything new to the group though. Grace and Faith are always at odds and since Faith is going through that teenager thing she’s gotten even more antagonizing towards her mother.

Robin’s tried to get Faith to cool it a little but it just hasn’t happened. After a while she’s just decided to let it go in hopes it all work out on its own. Speaking of kids…Robin moves her gaze to Charlie to see him trying to twirl spaghetti on his fork with tongue sticking out with concentration. The image makes her smile softly immediately.

“Uh, no I haven’t.” Luke answers eventually. “I was just lucky I made your dad laugh.”

“You made my dad laugh?” Faith asks with her jaw unhinged.

Robin’s dad smirks a bit, “Careful, baby girl, your gonna make me sound like an ogre.”

“Well you don’t exactly give off the warm and cuddly vibe, dad.” Gabe agrees with a nod, “Hell, I think you just hug people just to know what size hole to dig in the backyard.”

Jessup shrugs one massive shoulder, “Only for those boys who think they can date my girls.”

All gazes go to Richie who squirms in his chair; “Well I’ll make sure to stay on your good side then, Sir.”

“Or you could just not date her.” Luke mumbles but Richie hears him.

“And what’s it to you If I do or don’t? Last I checked you just met her.” Richie snaps, glaring at him over Robin’s head.