Apple pie cookies

ingredients:

For the Filling:

1 T. butter

2 ½ c. peeled chopped apples

1/4 c. water

3 T. granulated sugar

2 T. brown sugar

1 ½ tsp. cornstarch

1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp. salt

pinch of ground nutmeg

pinch of ground cloves

For Assembly:

Pie crust for a two-crust pie, store-bought or use your favorite homemade recipe

1 large egg

1/4 tsp. water

sanding sugar or granulated sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)

instructions:

For the Filling:

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. 

Add chopped apples, water, sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, ground cinnamon, salt, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves. Stir to combine.

Gently simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until apples are tender and "saucy" but still have some tender chunky pieces. Set aside to cool slightly.

For Assembly:

Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface until about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Use a 2 1/2 to 3-inch round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter to cut out as many rounds as possible from the dough (you'll need two rounds for each cookie).

Transfer half of the rounds to a baking sheet and brush the edges with a tiny bit of water (this helps seal the rounds).

Place about 2 measuring teaspoons of apple filling in the center of each round (do not over-fill). Top each with one of the remaining rounds. Press the edges to seal each pie cookie, and then use a fork to crimp the edges.

Prepare an egg wash by lightly beating together the egg and 1/4 teaspoon of water.

Brush each pie cookie with egg wash, being sure to get some egg wash over the entire surface of the cookie. (Since these mini pies won't be in the oven for as long as a full-size pie, they don't develop a nicely browned crust without the egg wash. The egg wash gives them a nice golden brown color.)

Sprinkle the tops with a pinch of sanding sugar or granulated sugar, if using. Use a small knife to cut slits in the top of each pie cookie.

Thanks for reading.

Happy Friday.

~Olivia