Denial

Karlie couldn't say things were ever the same. 

She tried her best to make things go back to the way they were before but with Taylor's busy schedule and her own work, building their friendship back to what it was before was tough. It frustrated her to no end to not have her best friend fully there anymore, especially when things with Joshua were going sour. She'd told him of course, Karlie didn't do well with secrets and truly believed secrets were what ruined most relationships. He'd laughed at her when she expressed her worry over the situation. She hadn't appreciated it and had promptly hung up the phone. She was glad that he was away and tried to tell herself that her need to have Taylor around wasn't for anything more than just best friend support. 

It wasn't for another two weeks after their talk that they saw each other again. They weren't alone which made Karlie both sad and happy. It was a celebration dinner for Taylor and her success with the album. All of their friends were there, Cara, Selena, Abigail, Lily, Lena and Ella. Karlie spent most of the evening talking to Cara and Selena. 

Karlie wouldn't say she was watching Taylor. Taylor was just naturally the center of everyone's attention. She denied paying any more attention to her than anyone else in the room. 

She especially didn't notice the way Taylor's long legs looked in the tight skirt she wore. 

She didn't notice the way Taylor's hands lingered too long on Lily's waist. 

Or the way her neck arched when she threw her head back in laughter. 

She didn't. 

But she did. 

"Excuse me, I need some air." She smiled at the girls and made her way to the balcony.

She drank what remained of her wine and stared out onto the calming shores of Rhode Island. 

Get it together, She scolded herself; you do not have any romantic feelings for Taylor. The kiss just awaked a new awareness of your very attractive friend. 

Your best friend who confessed being in love with you.

The best friend who agreed that it was best to remain friends. 

The best friend whose heart you broke because you're in denial of your feelings. 

"I am not in Denial!" Karlie shouted. 

"In denial of what?" Karlie spun around quickly and let out a relived sigh at the sight of the curly haired ginger. 

"Hi Abigail!" Karlie wheezed out. 

"Hey Karlie, what are you in denial of?" She arched an eyebrow as she leaned on the balcony bar alongside Karlie. 

"Nothing. Just some personal stuff." 

"Does this personal stuff happen to do with the kicked puppy look Taylors been wearing since you arrived." Abigail interrogated. 

"She's upset?" Karlie frantically looked over to the glass doors desperately trying to catch a glimpse of the beautiful blonde. 

"So it does." Abigail nodded her head in acceptance. "She always thinks she can hide things from me but I know. I'm a very inquisitive person. I'm assuming by your reaction to her being upset and you trying to convince yourself that you're not in denial means that Taylor finally revealed her feelings for you and you rejected her and now things are awkward between you two cause you won't accept your feelings for her and she won't ever dare try again for fear of losing you. Am I close?" 

"I'm not--" 

"In denial. Thought so." Abigail shook her head. "You better figure it out soon. I can tell Taylor loves you more than she's ever loved anyone before. I don't want her waiting for someone who can't admit to themselves who they truly love." She warned.

Karlie didn't respond. 

She hadn't gotten to know Abigail much but she knew right from the start that Abigail was very protective of Taylor. She knew that Abigail would stop at nothing until Taylor was happy. 

Abigail left her outside with her thoughts. 

She needed more wine. 

She thought about Joshua and his lack of support or effort to take things further. She thought about how she'd tried to introduce him to her family and he had all but denied any family dinner invitations. She thought about how Taylor would question her to no end about her family, she begged for months until Karlie invited her over to meet them, she thought about the way her mother and father constantly asked about how Taylor is and not how Joshua was. 

Why couldn't things be easier? 

Why was she still fighting for a relationship that wasn't going anywhere, a relationship that no longer brought her happiness? 

She wasn't sure if she loved Taylor that way but she was certain of one thing, she no longer wanted a relationship of unhappiness. She decided that the next time Joshua called that she would end things. 

Not for Taylor but for herself. 

At least that's what she told herself. 

-

A/N: Not much Kaylor in this but a bit of protective Abigail never hurt no one! 

Hint/Preview for the next chapter: Accepted 

:)