"We need to move her inside." The North voice said.

Who names their kid North? Wasn't that a direction?

"Alright," Nathan's voice spoke directly behind me, his voice rumbling in his chest and vibrating my back slightly.

In one swift movement, he was on his feet and I was cradled in his arms. He went inside the house and continued walking. I closed my eyes, too tired to deal with what was going on.

I was inside a house that wasn't mine.

Gabriel would be so proud, I thought to myself as I was lowered onto a soft bed. And that was all it took for my body to decide to was safe, and that I'd had enough. I went to sleep.

♥ ☾ ♥

There was a very strange feeling of calm when I woke up the next morning. Light shined in through the curtains, a thin sliver of sunshine that fell right across my face.

I rolled over and snuggled deeper into my covers.

Several things became clear to me at once. This was not my bed, I was not in my clothes, and my hand had been tended to by a doctor, judging by the beautiful little wrap on my hand. I lifted my arm and let it flop back down on the bed, no pain. I blinked.

"She's alive," a voice said.

I sat bolt upright in the bed and gasped when I saw the redhead named Nathan.

"This is your room," I said, dumbly.

I was surprised I'd even gotten myself to speak at all, given how long I'd pushed Gabriel off. I shook my head, needing to focus on the present.

He laughed a bit, more of a chuckle, and nodded. He was sitting in a chair that hadn't been in the room before, or maybe it had, either way I was in his room, in his bed.

"These aren't my clothes," I said, trying again.

The feeling of discomfort was increasing. If my family knew what I was up to...

But that was my problem, wasn't it? My family. People who were genetically charged to love me had failed. My heartstrings crossed. Confusion was a feeling I was used to.

Nathan blushed then, his cheeks going a close shade to his hair. Despite all of the things I should be freaking out about, I felt a weird calmness amidst the discomfort. I couldn't figure it out exactly but something about how the room was laid out was comforting.

I'm stupid, I thought to myself while studying the blankets. The zombie covered blankets. I frowned at myself and goosebumps tickled my arms.

"Nobody touched you if that's what you're worried about.. you were wet from the pool and there was some blood... the doc changed you, well he had some help but nobody here would, or ever will, hurt you."

"But I was in your yard. You don't know me."

The words came out almost before I really knew what they were. I watched Nathan closely. I'd heard the way he'd been yelling when he discovered there really was someone messing around his home.

Why would he help someone like me?

Nathan paused but nodded, "I've since decided that you probably had a good reason for being where you were."

I didn't know what to say to that.

Nathan leaned back in his seat and folded his arms across his chest. I'd read plenty of books in my young life, and he looked like he walked straight out of one of the more romantic ones. He hadn't looked so... cute before. Or maybe he had?