CHAPTER 3C

21. 21. Please choose 21, Jia. This was what was running into your mind as the elevator slowly made its way upward. You still have a little hint of hope when the elevator door opened, but it quickly faded away when you see no Jia in the 21st floor. You let out a sigh. Feeling defeated, you rode on back on the elevator to the lobby.

With a frown on your face, you cursed yourself for agreeing with Jia's game. This was the most absurd thing! It was the first time that you really wanted to date someone and this happened? What a tragic experience! As you walked down the lobby, someone hugged you from behind, and you were ready to punch whoever it was. When you turned around, you saw...

"Jia?"

"I went out of the elevator as soon as it closed. Life is a choice, Bea. And I'm choosing to get to know you more," Jia said.

You smiled, and gave Jia a quick kiss in the lips.

"How about Serendipity?" You asked.

"Oh screw that. I have you now. If finding you wasn't God's sign, then the others were just... to use your word, absurd. But I would have chosen 21 too."

"How did you...?" You didn't finished your question. Instead, you kissed her again, this time lasting longer.

Like any other relationships, your relationship with Jia had its ups and down. But maybe you survived the downs because the skies above think you were really meant to be together.

The day before you asked Jia's hand for marriage, you get that fifty-peso bill with Jia's number when you bought her engagement ring. That fifty-peso bill is now framed in your living room. And when Jia accompanied your daughter to a thrift store once, she found that copy of Little Prince being sold. That book was also in the living room, hanging beside your wedding picture.

Or when you think about it, maybe you survived the downs of your relationship because you just love each other, and you couldn't live without each other.  You chose to be with each other. Whether you found that fifty pesos and book... or not.

-END-