⑥. Repairing Damage; Yet Catching a Cold

︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵

︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵︵

A little later that day, you were already at school. Walking without Zim and Dib gave you the advantage of getting to school early. You and a few other people sat in the classroom with Ms. Bitters.

"Where are the annoying ones? Don't they usually show up here with you?" Ms. Bitters turned to ask you from her desk. You sighed. "Yeah... but I felt like walking alone today." You didn't feel like mentioning the situation.

"Trust me. You'll want to be alone more as you get older." Ms. Bitters grumbled. A boy sitting from behind you passed up a note.

'I saw you crying on the way to school. Are you feeling okay?'
It read.

You were a little embarrassed that someone saw you crying. But you figured you might as well talk to him face to face.

As you turned around, you noticed him looking at you. "You don't have to pass notes. Class hasn't started yet." You informed him.

"Oh, ha, yeah." He acted like he knew that.

"To answer your question, I'm fine... there's no need to worry. I just had a bit of a fight with-"

"You had a fight?! Was it with Zim?" he cut you off.

You blushed in embarrassment. "N-no! You have no proof, it has nothing to do with him or Dib!" You put your hands up in defense.

He raised an eyebrow. "If you say so."

"I-I'm sorry, but... it really isn't your business anyway. Not to be rude or anything!" You tried to tell him. He nodded.

"My bad, Just wondering!" He responded.

At this moment, Zim and Dib had entered class. Zim took his usual seat next to you. He glanced at you talking with the other kid, and was overcome with a sense of envy. To his dismay, he recognized the kid as someone he knows.

"So you did or didn't fight?" The kid persisted.

You didn't mind at this point, just happy that at least someone cared. "I didn't fight anyone." You told him quietly.

"But you just said you had a fight with-" he continued, until Zim cut him off.

"(Y/n) clearly said she didn't fight anyone, you smelly unborn fetus." He crossed his arms.

You were glad he tried to help out, but you remembered you were still pretty down about what happened earlier. You tried to defend the other kid. "Zim, you probably shouldn't call people names like that..."

Zim was a little taken back by being told off by you. He remained silent, and in good time too.

Ms. Bitters rose from her seat and demanded everyone's attention.

"Today, you will be partnering up with someone to do this filthy project. I expect you all to choose your own partners." She ordered.

Everyone got up from their seats and were already choosing their friends.

You, the other kid, Zim, and Dib were the only ones still in their seats.

"Since neither four of you seem to be interested in finding a partner, I'll assign them to you. (Y/n), work with Keef, the kid behind you. Dib and Zim, I expect you two to work together."

You come to understand that the kid pestering you was named Keef. You got up from your seat, and he dragged you along by your arm. "C'mon, (y/n)!"

Dib and Zim seemed to be frustrated with the outcome. Zim walked up to him. "We have to do something about Keef. He's soiling our 'friendship' with (y/n), pretty soon she won't even talk to us."

"I hate to agree, but you're right. I don't like it either." Dib responded.

Zim thought for a moment. "Ooh, I know what we can do! We'll work together for the project so much so that (y/n) will have to notice us, and she'll want to be friends again once she sees how well we get along!"

"Huh. Y'know, that's not such a bad idea!" Dib agreed. "Let's do it!" The two of them high fived.

"So (y/n), you say you didn't have a fight with Zim or Dib or anybody? Then why were you crying?" Keef asked.

"U-um, well if I'm being honest, I mean I didn't fight anyone, it's a matter of two other people fighting, and I'm in the middle of it." You explained.

"Oooh, that's always tough... but I think you'll get through it! You seem like a strong type!" Keef pat you on the back.

You blushed at the compliment. "R-really? Thanks..." you covered your face a bit.

"Ugh, she's not paying attention! She's too busy getting distracted by Keef." Zim sighed. Dib pat Zim on the back. "I have an idea..."

"Hey, (y/n), look at how well we're getting along, haha yes! Zim had the great idea of using glue in our project!" Dib leaned on the table they were working at.

"O-oh, Dib... uh, you two are doing well I see." You said nonchalantly, looking over at their project. It wasn't going well, but you didn't have the heart to tell them that.

"WOW! Yours is amazing, guys!" Keef cheered. Zim growled. "Don't patronize the work of ZIM."

"Yeah well anyway, the point is that we're working together!" Dib said, wrapping an arm around Zim.

You tilted your head. You could sense something was up, but you decided to go along with it since Zim and Dib were trying to get along for your sake.

You considered it to be sweet of them. All you could do was chuckle. "I'm glad." You smiled.

The both of them considered it to be a success, and high fived.
Little did they realize, they were truly getting along without even noticing.

Soon, the day came to an end and Ms. Bitters dismissed class for the weekend.

"See you later (y/n)!" Keef waved to you as he ran off. You waved as you walked in the opposite direction. Zim and Dib caught up with you on the way to your house.

"So, you were impressed with the work of Zim, yes?" Zim asked you.

"Yeah, I was pretty jealous of your project... even though I'm not sure what it is exactly." You admitted.

"We made it using a combination of our ideas." Dib added.

"Ah." You said.

"Ah...

...

Choo!" You covered your face with your arm.

All you could say was, "Uh oh. Another cold..."

Zim raised an eyebrow.