Thief for a Bride (chapter nine - The Party)

शुरू से प्रारंभ करें:

Genevieve finished washing and stepped out of the tub before grabbing a towel to dry off. When she had a slip on the covered her entire body she opened the door to let Isabel in so she could help her finish dressing and do her hair. Genevieve had never in her life imagined someone else doing her hair for her but she had to admit she liked the time she spent with Isabel. As she was doing her hair Genevieve suddenly had the feeling that she had done this before but that wasn't possible. 

"Is something wrong, my lady?" Isabel asked. 

"No," Genevieve assured her. "It's just that I've only been married for a few days but I feel as though I've been doing this for forever." 

"All ready taken to the lifestyle, no?" Isabel said playfully and Genevieve laughed. 

"Maybe you're right," she agreed. 

Isabel worked for what felt like hours with Genevieve's hair. It took a long time to dry and then when they finally decided to pin it all up, Isabel had a hard time dealing with the thick locks. Eventually her hair was done and they set to work on getting her dressed. The gown Genevieve had chosen was a lighter blue layer for the shoulders, sleeves and down the back with a sapphire layer underneath that only showed across her breasts and down her front. Genevieve loved this dress but she wasn't so sure how much when Isabel said it required one to wear a corset.  

"I'll be as nice as possible," Isabel assured her as she turned around and held onto the mantle above the fireplace. When Genevieve felt she might pass out Isabel announced she was done and helped Genevieve into the gown which fit like a glove. Together, they left the washroom and proceeded towards the ballroom to oversee the last of the preparations. Isabel left, after asking Genevieve permission which completely caught her off guard, to see to the preparations in the kitchen. Stands with about half a dozen candles on them had been placed all around the edge of the room. Two chandeliers hung at equal ends of the room and gave light to the whole room. The chandeliers were so big Genevieve wondered how she had missed them the first time she had come to the ballroom. 

Looking around the room she saw servants everywhere and wondered how many servants Desmond actually had, if he even knew. They ranged in age from a young boy who seemed no older than twelve to Edgar who looked about fifty. No one had ever really paid attention to her as she had walked through the busy streets of London. But now that she was a duchess it seemed like she had 'notice me' written on her forehead. Edgar put his right hand over his heart and bowed to her as she approached him. 

"Good afternoon, my lady," he said politely. "Is there anything I can do for you?" 

"Has my husband returned? I need to talk to him." 

"I'm sorry, my lady," he replied. "He told me to not expect him back more than a few minutes before the party." Genevieve looked at the clock. 

"It is a few minutes before the party," she said blankly and Edgar smiled. 

"I'm sure he'll be here any time now," Edgar said with a small smile. "Is there anything else I can help you with?" 

"No," Genevieve told him. "I've just never done this before. I hate to admit it but I'm nervous about being in front of people I don't know." She really was nervous but it wasn't just about the party. She had found a note on her windowsill this morning from the Raven telling her to meet him at the statue again tonight. She wasn't sure how long the party would last and wondered if she could steal away the same way she had the night before. She dismissed Edgar to let him return to work and made her way to where Isabel said she should wait for Desmond so they could enter the ballroom together. She could hear the guests beginning to arrive and enter the ballroom. She stood behind two large doors that would be opened for her and Desmond to walk down the grand staircase but where was her husband? 

A Thief for a Brideजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें